Skillet Creamy Lemon Rosemary Chicken-this quick and easy one-skillet chicken dish is great for busy weeknights or easy entertaining.
Josh and I spend a lot of time in the kitchen together. We love cooking, baking, and even cleaning together. It is rare to find one of us in the kitchen alone. Sometimes, I have kick Josh out of the kitchen when I am baking cookies because he eats too much dough, but we usually make a good team:)
One of Josh’s favorite recipes to make is this easy Skillet Creamy Lemon Rosemary Chicken. It is one of his staples. I get out of the way when this chicken dish is on the menu. I don’t leave the kitchen, but I let Josh take control because this recipe is his specialty. I make the rice and veggies while Josh takes care of the chicken.
Josh loves this chicken dish because it is full of flavor and made in ONE skillet. It is so easy!
The chicken is cooked on the stove and finished off in the oven, so make sure you use an ovenproof skillet. Josh likes to use his favorite cast iron skillet.
The chicken comes out juicy and tender, every time and you will LOVE the simple creamy lemon rosemary sauce. It is so good you will want to lick your plate clean! Josh usually does, he claims it makes doing the dishes easier. I can’t complain because he does the dishes. Don’t worry, I make sure he sticks his clean plate in the dishwasher. He is not allowed to put it back in the cabinet just because he licked it clean..ha!
This easy one-skillet chicken recipe is great for busy weeknights or easy entertaining.You can have this chicken dish on the dinner table in a little over 30 minutes. We like to serve it with rice and roasted broccoli…that is always my contribution to the meal:)
Add this Skillet Creamy Lemon Rosemary Chicken to your dinner menu NOW! It really is a winner winner chicken dinner!
Skillet Creamy Lemon Rosemary Chicken
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large lemons
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 of a yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cubed
- Rice for serving optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and pound until they are the same size and thickness. You want the chicken breasts the same size so they will cook evenly. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 4 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook for 4 more minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and place on a plate. Cover with foil and set aside. Note-the chicken should be browned, but not cooked all of the way. It will finish cooking in the oven.
- Turn off the stove, but leave the skillet on the stove. Zest one of the lemons. Add the lemon zest to the skillet. Juice the lemon and add the juice to the skillet. Stir in the broth, onion, garlic, and rosemary. Slice the remaining lemon and add the lemon slices to the skillet.
- Turn the stove to medium-high heat and cook, stirring the sauce to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Bring the sauce to a boil. Gently boil for 8-10 minutes so the liquid can reduce to about ¼ cup. Reduce heat to low and stir in the heavy cream and butter. Cook until the butter is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken breasts back to the skillet. Place the skillet in the oven and bake uncovered until the chicken is completely cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove skillet from the oven and serve chicken with sauce spooned on top. We like to serve the chicken and sauce with rice and roasted broccoli on the side.
- Note-the chicken will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Oops! Could you please correct the ingredient list where it says 1/4 tablespoons? Thanks!
Done! Thanks for catching that!
Obsessing over that creamy sauce!! Love simple, yummy dinners like this that are perfect for weeknights!
I bet this tastes so good! what a perfect weeknight dinner!
That’s some tasty looking chicken!
Will be trying this soon! Looks great!
Gorgeous chicken dinner recipe!!
Maria, this cream sauce looks amazing!!
hey girl this looks so tasty!
This looks AMAZING. Thanks for the inspiration!
super delicious! i LOVE lemon chicken! and the creamy sauce… my mouth is watering!
Mmmm Lemon anything works for me!
Made tonight. Even after pounding, my grocery store bought giant chickens took 25 minutes to finish the oven. It was really good though! Never time i think I’ll cut the breasts in half. The sauce was delicious!
I want this yummy chicken dish for dinner tonight!
I’m based in South Africa so just wants to check when you refer to chicken broth is it the same as chicken stock? Thanks
Yes, stock will work too!
It was a good and easy meal, and the sauce was nice and light. I love lemon and rosemary! I cut the chicken in half horizontally, so the cooking times were a bit shorter (both in skillet and in oven). The sauce was good, although I would use the juice from half a lemon next time.
This looks delicious. I think I’ll be licking the plate clean too with that sauce, oh it looks so good. I wish I had it in front of me right now. I’ll cook it for dinner tomorrow night. Thanks for sharing.
I made this last night for my boyfriend who is a professional chef. His first response wasn’t words, just the sound “Mmmm!” and he went back for a second helping! I love any chance to impress him with easy and quick meals. Love your recipes! Thank you!
Could I use milk instead of the cream?
It won’t be as rich and creamy, but probably still good.
I’ve made countless lemon and rosemary chicken recipes and was always left disappointed. This one was a winner! I had no idea such simple ingredients could make so much flavor, but we devoured it last night and it’s already back on the meal plan. THANK YOU for restoring my faith in lemon rosemary recipes!
I made this for dinner last nite, super ez and it was so delish! Thank you for sharing!
Glad you liked it!
Just made this tonight and it was very easy and very good!!
Glad you liked the recipe! Thanks for letting us know!
Hi Maria and Josh! Thank you so much for all the wonderful recipes. I am slowly working my way through them, and so grateful to have them.
I have to say this Lemon Rosemary chicken is delicious. I made it tonight and it was a hit. Thank you so much for sharing it with me and my family. God Bless you! Jane
Can this be done ahead of time?
Made this last night and it was seriously delicious. The sauce is wonderful!! I will definitely make this again soon.
Oh. My. Goodness! This was amazing! Going in the keep box for sure. Thanks for sharing!
I made this tonight and I’m not sure what I did wrong because I followed the recipe exactly but it tasted to bitter we couldn’t even eat it. Any thoughts on what I did?
This happened to me too. Any suggestions??? It was SOOOO SOUR and I followed the directions exactly. The lemon rounds dissolved into mush when they were cooked and I had to add sugar and baking soda and more cream and more broth to make it edible.
Just checking – you cooke the chicken in the sauce in the oven?
The lemon flavor is on point!