This perfect Roasted Broccoli with garlic is destined to be your new favorite side dish! This crispy, oven-baked broccoli goes great with any meal. My version is so easy to make with simple seasonings, and it’s even kid-approved!
Crispy roasted broccoli is one of my all-time favorite vegetables! I’ve always found that roasting broccoli is the best way to prepare this crunchy, cruciferous veggie. And after today, I’m sure you’ll love it, too!
You don’t need any fancy ingredients or equipment to have this easy vegetable recipe turn out incredible. There’s a good chance that everything you need is in your kitchen already!
Even broccoli naysayers are swayed by this delicious and tender, super flavorful, perfectly oven-roasted broccoli recipe. Our boys love it. They get all excited when we have “trees” for dinner. Who can ask for more?
If you’re a fan of roasted vegetables, be sure to try this easy broccoli recipe.
Why You’ll Love this Roasted Broccoli Recipe
Prepare to get your green on! This healthy broccoli recipe is:
- Made with simple ingredients. You need just four ingredients to make the perfect roasted broccoli: broccoli florets, garlic, olive oil, and fresh lemon juice.
- Full of flavor. This easy roasted broccoli recipe is a delicious vegetable side dish with tons of flavor. It honestly goes great with any meal. Sometimes, I’ll roast up a big pan to eat for weekday lunches!
- Roasted tender and crispy. I personally like my broccoli a little on the charred side. Those extra-crispy pieces are the best!
What You’ll Need
Here’s a quick overview of the whopping 4 ingredients you’ll need to roast broccoli in the oven. Be sure to scroll to the recipe card for the full details.
- Broccoli – You’ll need about 1½ pounds of broccoli (roughly 3 fist-sized broccoli heads). Cut the heads into florets before you begin.
- Garlic – Fresh cloves, minced.
- Olive Oil – It’s worth investing in a decent quality extra virgin olive oil to use when roasting vegetables.
- Lemon – Fresh lemon goes perfectly with roasted broccoli! I use just a tablespoon of lemon juice (about half a lemon, squeezed) and it really brightens the flavors.
- Salt and Pepper – For seasoning to taste.
How to Make Roasted Broccoli
This is a super simple broccoli recipe that anyone can master in one go. Get your oven preheated to 400ºF while you prepare your broccoli for roasting:
Combine the ingredients. Add the broccoli florets to a bowl along with garlic, olive oil, and freshly squeezed lemon, then toss to coat.
Spread out on a baking sheet. Arrange the broccoli in a single layer, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Roast. Place the broccoli in a hot oven to roast for 15 to 20 minutes. Once the florets are browned and fork tender, take them out and serve!
Tips for Success
Some additional tips for perfectly roasted broccoli:
- Seasonings – I keep it simple with lemon and garlic in this recipe. However, feel free to season your broccoli with any of your favorite herbs and spices! Try tossing broccoli in Italian seasoning, or even Everything Bagel Seasoning. You can even sprinkle on some cayenne pepper for a bit of heat.
- Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan – This roasted broccoli recipe tastes amazing with a bit of freshly grated parmesan sprinkled over top.
From a nutritional perspective, steaming retains more of broccoli’s nutrients. Meanwhile, IMHO, roasting broccoli brings out the BEST flavor. It really comes down to preference, and I love having both options.
Yes! Baked broccoli is super healthy and full of fiber, vitamin C, and even protein.
All forms of heat can break down nutrients, even steaming! However, roasting does retain more nutrients than some other cooking methods (for example, boiling).
Olive oil is by far the best to use when roasting veggies! It holds up in high temperatures and gets vegetables nice and crispy. It also has a unique flavor that you won’t find in other oils.
What Goes with Roasted Broccoli?
The real question is, what doesn’t go with roasted broccoli? This tasty broccoli recipe makes an easy side dish for just about any meal idea you can think of. Serve it as a Thanksgiving side with Roasted Carrots, Brussels Sprouts Salad, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, and Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, or add this broccoli to a casual weeknight dinner.
Here are some of our favorite dishes to serve with roasted broccoli:
- Easy Skillet Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Lemon Spaghetti
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Baked Salmon
- Beef Stir Fry
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store any leftover roasted broccoli in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. Reheat broccoli in the microwave, or in the oven until warmed through.
If I’m not reheating leftovers, I’ll often use them in this delicious and healthy Roasted Broccoli Quinoa Salad!
Can I Freeze Extras?
Fresh is best, but you can freeze broccoli. Once the roasted broccoli is completely cool, transfer it to an airtight container or freezer bag. Freeze broccoli for up to 3 months, and thaw it in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Perfect Roasted Broccoli
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli cut into florets
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice from half a lemon about 1 tablespoon
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine broccoli florets and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and fresh lemon juice. Toss until florets are well coated.
- Arrange the broccoli florets in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Roast for 15-20 minutes, until cooked and slightly browned. Remove from oven and serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod