My avocado obsession continues, this time with Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese! If you like our Creamy Avocado Pasta, you will love this decadent macaroni and cheese. It is basically the same delicious pasta, but kicked up a notch. Josh thought I was a little looney when I told him what we were having for dinner, but after one bite, he was in mac and cheese heaven. If you are an avocado lover, you will go crazy for this macaroni and cheese!
This avocado macaroni and cheese is so easy to make. It is perfect for busy weeknights or whenever you are craving a comforting meal, but feeling lazy. You don’t even have to turn on the oven. To make the pasta, you boil the macaroni, make the avocado sauce in the food processor, and whisk together a cheesy sauce on the stove top. You combine everything in a big bowl and devour!
The creamy avocado sauce coats the pasta nicely with a hint of garlic, cilantro, and lime. The creamy cheese sauce is out of this world. We used Pepper Jack cheese, which gave the dish a nice kick. If you want a milder flavor, you can use Monterey Jack. I garnished the macaroni and cheese with fresh avocado chunks. You can never have too much avocado!
This Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese is all kinds of awesome! It is creamy, cheesy, and comforting. When you are in the need for pure comfort food, make this mac and cheese. It is comfort food to the max! This is also a great dish for Cinco de Mayo. I think chips and guacamole would go great on the side:)
Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese
- 10 ounces dry elbow macaroni
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 avocados peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh avocado chunks for garnish, if desired
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Salt the water and add in macaroni. Stir and cook until Al Dente, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the avocado sauce by placing the garlic, avocados, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper into a food processor or blender. Process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- To make the cheese sauce, place butter in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. When butter is melted, whisk in flour to create a paste. Whisk in milk until smooth. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sauce starts to thicken. Add in Pepper Jack cheese and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy.
- Place macaroni in a large bowl. Pour the avocado sauce over the macaroni and stir until well coated. Add the cheese sauce and stir until macaroni is coated and creamy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm. Garnish with fresh avocado chunks, if desired.
- Note-the lime juice keeps the avocado from browning. The mac and cheese is best eaten the first day, but it is still good the second day. The pasta may turn slightly brown, but not bad. If you want a milder flavor, you can use Monterey Jack or White Cheddar Cheese.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this Stove Top Avocado Mac and Cheese, you might also like: