There is nothing better than a cold glass of strawberry lemonade on a hot summer day. Well, I thought there wasn’t anything better until I had a slice of Strawberry Lemonade Cake. All of the same refreshing flavors, but in cake form. Count me in!
This cake recipe comes from my good friend Heather’s new cookbook, Generous Table. Heather’s book is filled with easy and elegant recipes that make entertaining simple throughout the seasons. We took the Strawberry Lemonade Cake to a dinner party and our friends loved it. It was the perfect ending to our dinner on the patio.
I am not going to lie, layered cakes kind of intimidate me. I am always worried they will get stuck in the pan and my cake decorating skills are a little scary. The Strawberry Lemonade Cake sounded so good, I put my fears aside and got baking. I was determined to make this cake!
The recipe was surprisingly simple. We had all of the ingredients on hand and the steps were easy to follow. And guess what? The cakes came out of the pan with no trouble at all! Yahoo!
Now let’s talk about this lovely cake-two layers of tart lemon cake sandwiched between sweet strawberry buttercream frosting an freshly slice strawberries. Now you know why I HAD to make this cake.
If you are looking for an easy cake to serve your family and friends this summer, make this Strawberry Lemonade Cake. It’s a dreamy dessert for summer…or anytime!
And make sure you check out the Generous Table. It is filled with fabulous recipes that will help you celebrate every occasion! And just so you know, you don’t need a special occasion to enjoy a slice of Strawberry Lemonade Cake. Every day is the perfect day for cake:)
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes
For the Cake:
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8-10 large strawberries hulled and sliced
For the Strawberry Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2-4 large strawberries chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray two 9-inch round baking pans with baking spray.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, place the butter, sugar and lemon zest. Beat until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients and set aside.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, one at a time, combining thoroughly in between. With the mixer still running, add the lemon juice. (batter will look curdled, but it's not). Add one third of the dry ingredients and 1/2 cup of the buttermilk. Mix, then stop and scrape the sides of the bowl. Repeat, adding another third of the dry ingredients and the remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk. Mix, then stop and scrape. Add the remaining third of the dry ingredients and mix until completely combined and the batter is light and fluffy.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake the cakes for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool before removing from the pans.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the strawberry buttercream frosting. Combine the butter and powdered sugar in a large bowl or standing mixer. Mix together on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the milk and strawberries and mix on high speed until the frosting is very fluffy and pale pink in color, with flecks of strawberry.
- Invert one of the cake rounds onto a cake plate; generously spread with frosting and top with strawberry slices. Repeat with the remaining layer of cake and frosting. Frost the sides of the cake. Put in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to allow the frosting to set. Serve at room temperature.
If you like this Strawberry Lemonade Cake, you might also like: