My dad was in town for Memorial Day weekend. I am glad he was able to visit during rhubarb season because he loves strawberry rhubarb desserts. Our rhubarb is still going strong, so I surprised my dad with a strawberry rhubarb galette for dessert one evening.
My dad doesn’t like to sit and relax on vacation, he likes to keep busy and help us with projects. This visit, he tackled our yard. My dad loves flowers, gardening, and getting dirty. He helped Josh spruce up our yard. They worked hard all weekend long. They ripped out old shrubs, created a rock border for the backyard, planted new flowers, and started our garden. The yard looks fantastic.
I helped by picking out flowers, staying out of the way, and preparing meals. My dad also loves to cook and bake so he insisted on helping in the kitchen too. We can’t get him to relax:) I did make the strawberry rhubarb galette on my own-well Josh helped, but my dad wasn’t allowed to help. His only job was to eat and enjoy. He devoured his dessert.
The strawberry rhubarb filling is sweet with a tart twist. The cornmeal and turbinado sugar add a pleasant crunch to the crust. This is one of my favorite galette recipes. I will be making it all summer long with different fruit fillings.
We are glad my dad was able to visit and help us around the house. We are also glad he was able to finally rest and enjoy a piece of this strawberry rhubarb galette-we topped his off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. He worked hard and deserved a special treat.
Strawberry Rhubarb Galette
Strawberry Rhubarb Filling:
- 2 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
For Brushing Galette:
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- To make the dough, combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, and salt in a processor; pulse 2-3 times. Add butter and pulse 4-5 times, or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With the processor running, slowing pour the buttermilk through the chute, processing until the dough forms a ball. Remove the dough ball and adhere any remaining pieces of dough to it, then wrap in plastic wrap or parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before rolling out.
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- To make the strawberry rhubarb filling, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, and toss gently, making sure that the cornstarch is coating the fruit. Set aside.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on a sheet of parchment paper. Starting at the center of the dough, roll out, forming a 14-15-inch wide circle. Place the dough with parchment paper on a baking sheet. Add the fruit mixture to the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold the border over the filling, overlapping where necessary and pressing gently to adhere the folds.
- Lightly brush the edge of the dough with the egg and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. You don't need to use the whole egg, just enough to brush the edge of the galette.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool for at least 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- *Note-you can make the galette dough in advance. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days. Try serving the galette with vanilla ice cream for an extra special dessert.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this galette, you might also like: