Tostadas are one of our go to meals. If we aren’t in the mood to cook, we always agree on tostadas. They only take minutes to make and are so good. We usually make Black Bean Sweet Potato Tostadas or Black Bean Mango Tostadas-depedning on what we have on hand.
The other night I asked Josh what he wanted for dinner, he said he didn’t care and didn’t have any ideas, so I immediately called it a tostada night. This time I mixed things up by making Tofu Tostadas. I was a little nervous Josh wouldn’t like them as much as our staple tostadas, but he loved them and so did I! They are getting added permanently to the tostada rotation.
We always make homemade baked tostada shells. They are so easy and much healthier than the fried tostada shells. I cooked up a little tofu mixture with onion, garlic, red pepper, chili powder, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro. The mixture smelled so good while it was cooking on the stove top. I am glad it didn’t take long to make because my belly started growling like papa bear as soon as it smelled those delicious spices.
We topped our baked tostada shells with the tofu mixture and garnished with tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and lime juice. You can go wild here and add whatever toppings you like-cheese, beans, salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, etc.
If you are looking for an easy meatless meal, give Tofu Tostadas a try! They are A-Ok!
- For the tostada shells:
- 6 corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- For the Tofu:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeds removed and diced
- 12 ounce firm tofu drained, pat dry and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Grape tomatoes cut in half
- Avocado seed and skin removed, diced
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Lime juice
- 1. To make the baked tostada shells, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray each side of the corn tortillas with cooking spray. Season with salt. Place tortillas on a large baking sheet and bake until tostadas are lightly browned and crisp on one side, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from oven and flip the tortillas. Place back in the oven and cook until lightly browned and crisp on the other side, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- 2. Pour olive oil into a large heavy bottom skillet and place over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in the red pepper and cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- 3. Add tofu and season with chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper, to taste. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the tofu and cook until tofu is brown on each side, about 5 minutes. Stir in the fresh cilantro.
- 4. Place tofu mixture on top of a crisp tostada shell. Garnish with tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, lime juice-if desired.
- Note-Feel free to add your favorite toppings to the tostadas. Cheese, black beans, salsa, sour cream, and hot sauce are also great!
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like these Tofu Tostadas, you might also like:
- Black Bean and Tempeh Tostadas from Bev Cooks
- Beef Tostadas from Dine and Dish
- Black Bean and Mango Tostadas from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Baja Chicken Tostadas from Camille Styles
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tostadas from Two Peas and Their Pod
LOVE these! Seriously great. I press the tofu first, so it’s a bit denser, and I use a different taco seasoning recipe, but I keep all else the same. I’ve made them twice in a week. Fantastic. Thank you so much!
I cannot find any nutritional values for these tostadas. Calories etc.. Help thanks.
These were AMAZING!!! I love this website!
I made these tonight and they’re amazing – THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I recently started eating vegan foods, and I have to say, this recipe got my attention. 🙂 The chili powder is a great addition!
I can not thank you enough for this recipe. WE ARE OBSESSED! Ever since I discovered this recipe about a year ago on your website, I have been making this 2-3 times a month. Thankfully my husband craves these as much as I do! We love so many of your other recipes as well, thank you for sharing them. And, your sons are adorable!!
Tofu is delicious, great recipe
Omg yum!! I love tostadas. Might be trying those sweet potato ones first!
Happy to read this recipe, because my kids love tostadas and I was searching for a good recipe to make tostadas at home. Now I’ll try this on weekend.
Tonight I had a taco bar setup for dinner in my community of 12 people. I made the tofu as one of the proteins. Everyone loved it! Thank you so much.
See More Comments