Tostadas are one of our go to meals. If we aren’t in the mood to cook, we always agree on tostadas. They only take minutes to make and are so good. We usually make Black Bean Sweet Potato Tostadas or Black Bean Mango Tostadas-depedning on what we have on hand.
The other night I asked Josh what he wanted for dinner, he said he didn’t care and didn’t have any ideas, so I immediately called it a tostada night. This time I mixed things up by making Tofu Tostadas. I was a little nervous Josh wouldn’t like them as much as our staple tostadas, but he loved them and so did I! They are getting added permanently to the tostada rotation.
We always make homemade baked tostada shells. They are so easy and much healthier than the fried tostada shells. I cooked up a little tofu mixture with onion, garlic, red pepper, chili powder, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro. The mixture smelled so good while it was cooking on the stove top. I am glad it didn’t take long to make because my belly started growling like papa bear as soon as it smelled those delicious spices.
We topped our baked tostada shells with the tofu mixture and garnished with tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and lime juice. You can go wild here and add whatever toppings you like-cheese, beans, salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, etc.
If you are looking for an easy meatless meal, give Tofu Tostadas a try! They are A-Ok!
Tofu tostadas make a great meatless meal for any night of the week!
Yield: Serves 4-6
For the tostada shells:
6 corn tortillas
For the Tofu:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
12 ounce firm tofu, drained, pat dry and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Grape tomatoes, cut in half
Avocado, seed and skin removed, diced
Fresh cilantro, chopped
1. To make the baked tostada shells, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray each side of the corn tortillas with cooking spray. Season with salt. Place tortillas on a large baking sheet and bake until tostadas are lightly browned and crisp on one side, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from oven and flip the tortillas. Place back in the oven and cook until lightly browned and crisp on the other side, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
2. Pour olive oil into a large heavy bottom skillet and place over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in the red pepper and cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add tofu and season with chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper, to taste. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the tofu and cook until tofu is brown on each side, about 5 minutes. Stir in the fresh cilantro.
4. Place tofu mixture on top of a crisp tostada shell. Garnish with tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, lime juice-if desired.
Note-Feel free to add your favorite toppings to the tostadas. Cheese, black beans, salsa, sour cream, and hot sauce are also great!
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
If you like these Tofu Tostadas, you might also like:
- Black Bean and Tempeh Tostadas from Bev Cooks
- Beef Tostadas from Dine and Dish
- Black Bean and Mango Tostadas from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Baja Chicken Tostadas from Camille Styles
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tostadas from Two Peas and Their Pod