Buttermilk Banana Bread
I am always trying to find new uses for brown bananas and buttermilk. I always seem to have an abundance of these two ingredients. Josh doesn’t like bananas, but I still buy them in large bunches. I have good intentions to eat them, but they always turn on me too quickly. I also buy the large container of buttermilk because it is a better deal. I usually use the little bit I bought it for and wait until it is about to expire, then everything we eat involves buttermilk. Last week I was thinking of ways to use up bananas and buttermilk and decided to bake Buttermilk Banana Bread.
Buttermilk and bananas are meant to be friends. They team up in this recipe to create a very moist loaf of bread. This banana bread is light in flavor and color. It reminds me of a very moist banana pound cake because of the rich, buttery crumb. I made a medium size loaf and a mini loaf. We sampled the mini loaf and gave away the large loaf to our friends. I knew we would want to sample it, so I figured it would be better to have our own loaf than to give away a loaf with a few missing slices:)
If you are pondering what to do with the overripe bananas on your counter and the buttermilk in your refrigerator, make Buttermilk Banana Bread. Your house will fill with a wonderful aroma and you will have a tasty snack or breakfast to eat.
Buttermilk Banana Bread
This is the BEST banana bread recipe! Everyone LOVES it!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50-55 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas (3 medium sized bananas)
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Grease and flour 1 large loaf pan (9 1/4 X 5 1/4-inch) or whatever combination of pans you’d like. I used a mini loaf pan and a 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 loaf pan. You can also make banana muffins with this recipe, if you wish. Set pans aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla until the batter is well mixed.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and soda. Mix until well combined. Divide batter into greased and floured pans and bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let bread cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Loosen the bread with a knife and carefully remove from pan. Finish cooling on rack. Slice and serve once cooled.
Recipe adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
If you like this Buttermilk Banana Bread, you might also like: