Creamy Polenta with Roasted Mushrooms

I have a hard time choosing a favorite meal. I have too many favorites and it depends on my mood. Creamy Polenta with Roasted Mushrooms is probably in my top 10 favorite meals. I am always in the mood for rich and creamy polenta. I could eat an entire pan if no one was watching me. I love the stuff!

The creamy polenta is good by itself, but the roasted mushrooms make this recipe extra special. They are the “icing on the cake.” And it’s always a good idea to add more veggies into your diet, right?

Another reason this recipe is an all-time favorite, because it is so easy to make! I toss the mushrooms in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a little garlic and let them roast away.

The hardest part is whisking the polenta, but a little arm workout won’t hurt you. And it really isn’t hard. You just have to whisk it every few minutes, so don’t go far. Turn on some tunes and sing away while your mushrooms are roasting and your polenta is cooking. I won’t tell anyone if you use your whisk as a microphone:)

We teamed up with the Utah Dairy Council this year to create recipes that incorporate more dairy. I like to make the polenta with milk for an extra creamy texture. Plus, I love the boost of calcium, Vitamin D, and protein it adds. Milk does the body good!  I also stir in a little butter and Parmesan cheese. Mmmm, butter and cheese!

To serve, divide the creamy polenta into bowls and top with the roasted mushrooms. Try to savor every bite, but I won’t judge if you frantically shove spoonfuls into your mouth. This Creamy Polenta with Roasted Mushrooms is a winner! An all-time favorite for sure!

Creamy Polenta with Roasted Mushrooms

Yield: Serves 4 (makes about 3 cups polenta)

Creamy polenta with roasted mushrooms-an easy and comforting meal.

For the Roasted Mushrooms:

1 lb. Baby Bella mushrooms, stems removed and cut in half
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf Italian parsley

For the Creamy Polenta:

2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup stoneground polenta (not instant)
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Extra Parmesan cheese for serving, optional

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place mushrooms in a medium bowl and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add in garlic and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Spread mushrooms evenly onto a large greased baking sheet. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring once. Remove from the oven and stir in parsley.

2. While the mushrooms are roasting, make the polenta. In a medium saucepan, combine milk, water, and salt over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. When it simmers, slowly pour in the polenta and whisk to combine. Reduce heat to low and partially cover the pan with a lid and cook, whisking vigorously every 5 minutes. Make sure you scrape the sides of the pan. Cook until liquid is absorbed and polenta is creamy, about 30 minutes total. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and Parmesan cheese.

3. Divide the polenta into four bowls. Top with roasted mushrooms and garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.

If you like this Creamy Polenta with Roasted Mushrooms, you might also like:

Disclosure: This post is in partnership with the Dairy Council of Utah, but all of our opinions are our own. “For more dairy & nutrition information visit: www.dairyutnv.com and to get to know more about your local dairy farmers visit www.thecowlocale.com.” And thanks to the Dairy Council of Utah for sponsoring me to attend Alt Summit. If you see me at the conference today, maybe we can grab a glass of milk:)

75 Responses to “Creamy Polenta with Roasted Mushrooms”

Joanne — January 25, 2013 @ 4:02 pm

I am always in the mood for polenta! Such a great comfort food meal.

Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs — January 25, 2013 @ 5:05 pm

This looks like a perfect vegetarian dish to warm this cold winter night! Can’t wait to try this soon.

Marian (Sweetopia) — January 25, 2013 @ 6:00 pm

Maria, you always manage to make me feel hungry for your dishes!

Diana @ Eating Made Easy — January 25, 2013 @ 7:56 pm

This is right up my alley! So savory.

Jenny Flake — January 25, 2013 @ 8:54 pm

Polenta is my favorite! This one looks like comfort food in a bowl!

Audra@The-Baker-Chick — January 25, 2013 @ 10:03 pm

When I first moved to NYC- I worked at a fabulous restaurant that served an Upma Polenta with Hen of the Wood mushrooms on top. It looked just like this and I seriously have been dreaming about it for years. I can’t want to try this out and see if it finally satisfies that craving!! :)

Cassie | Bake Your Day — January 26, 2013 @ 10:02 am

I never cook with polenta but that needs to change soon. We adore roasted mushrooms. These look wonderful, Maria!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — January 26, 2013 @ 11:29 pm

I just love creamy polenta! And the mushrooms are the perfect addition!

Tracy — January 27, 2013 @ 2:16 pm

Question, do you buy actually polenta or cornmeal? I have a awful time finding something at out Publix!

Maple — January 27, 2013 @ 3:11 pm

This may very well be my new favorite dish. I have never made polenta before last night. Sooo good!!!!

marina (yummymummykitchen.com) — January 28, 2013 @ 1:32 am

I’m suddenly Staaaaarving!!!

Paula@az — January 29, 2013 @ 11:34 am

This looks interesting. I will use rice milk instead as cows milk does a body bad. Will also omit the oil. Don’t need the extra fat. Instead of cheese I will try it with nutritional yeast. Veganizing recipes can be a lot of fun!

Prerna@IndianSimmer — January 30, 2013 @ 7:16 pm

We were at a restaurant last weekend and they served us some Aahmazing polenta cakes with mushroom in some kind of sauce. I was looking if I can find a similar recipe and look who showed up! :-)
    This looks like a promising recipe.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — January 30, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

There’s nothing better than creamy polenta and I love the roasted mushrooms!

Marcie @ Flavor the Moments — February 3, 2013 @ 11:46 am

I’ve never made polenta, but I love it. This dish reminds me of one of Michael Chiarello’s signature dishes at his restaurant Bottega. I ordered it, and it was phenomenal. It was served in a jar and topped with mushrooms and parmesan. I’m going to have to make this to transport myself back to Bottega. I’m not afraid of a little arm work!.

Ari — February 3, 2013 @ 1:32 pm

This was wonderful! I admit, I cheated a little by using instant polenta, and dairy free options (almond milk and rice cheese) but it still turned out great! I also used worcestershire sauce instead of balsamic vinegar (I totally thought I had balsamic in my kitchen, but alas, and it was snowing, so I decided to make do). Definitely will be a repeat offender in my house! Thanks for posting it!

Veggie — February 4, 2013 @ 8:10 am

I am absolutely with in in being able to eat a whole pan of polenta. But as a huge lover of mushrooms, grilled or roasted mushrooms and to see them with this wonderful polenta on your pic, I am completely fallen for this recipe….

Lokness @ The Missing Lokness — February 7, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

I love creamy polenta! I like the idea of serving mushrooms with it. Great simple dish. Definitely making it soon!

Toni — February 7, 2013 @ 1:42 pm

This was FABULOUS. I made it last weekend and it was just perfect. Thank you!! Love your blog.

20. Pingback: Sweetheart Shrimp and Jalapeno Polenta Recipe

21. Pingback: Polenta, Sempre Polenta and Broccoli « hep-i-book'a

Maria — March 3, 2013 @ 8:46 pm

This was absolutely delicious! I made a half batch thinking I’d have some leftover for lunch tomorrow, but it didn’t make it that long! Thanks for the great recipe :-)

23. Pingback: Daily Dinner Idea: Creamy Polenta with Roasted Mushrooms | The Nest Blog – Home Décor, Cooking, Money, Health & Sex News & Advice

Zoe — March 10, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

My husband and I have made this three times so far. We absolutely love it! This has definitely become a staple in our house.

Mary — April 24, 2013 @ 12:38 pm

I roasted some diced leftover pork loin and zucchini with the mushrooms. Wonderful meal!

26. Pingback: Feed the Body and Spirit: 9 Nourishing Food Quotes and Recipes | Healthy Food Guides

27. Pingback: Feed the Body and Spirit: 9 Nourishing Food Quotes and Recipes | Healthy Food Recipe

28. Pingback: Kremasta palenta sa gljivama. Odličan izbor za lagan ručak. - LifePress magazin

29. Pingback: Creamy Polenta with Roasted Mushrooms | My Love Language is Food

30. Pingback: 15 Best Vegetarian Mushrooms Recipes

Hugo — February 1, 2014 @ 6:37 pm

I made this and it was truly amazing and simple)

Thanks :)`

Lindsay — April 4, 2014 @ 7:24 pm

I made this tonight and it was delicious. So rich and creamy! I even linked your site to my blog. Thanks so much, I’ll definitely be back!

Kate — May 30, 2014 @ 11:09 pm

This recipe is seriously amazing! I’ve made it for two dinner parties in the past two weeks and it was a hit both times. I roasted the mushrooms with strips of fresh sage instead of parsley; I also put the polenta into a casserole dish, dumped the mushrooms and sauce over top, and popped it under the broiler for a few minutes – delicious. It reminded me of risotto in terms of texture, and it was super creamy. I’ll be making this again and again!

Kerri — September 7, 2014 @ 10:48 pm

I just made this tonight and it was divine. Everyone loved it. I did have to use more liquid to get the softer consistency I wanted but the flavor was amazing. Thank you!