Green Smoothie

Yesterday I did my usual Body Combat workout at Dash Fitness and came home and made one of my favorite post workout snacks-a Green Smoothie. I posted the photo on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook and got several requests for the recipe. So today I am sharing my favorite Green Smoothie recipe. Some people call the Green Smoothie a Green Monster, but I like to refer to mine as the Green Goblin:)

If you haven’t tried a Green Smoothie before, don’t be afraid. I promise this smoothie is tasty. Don’t be frightened by the green color or the spinach. You can’t even taste the spinach. It blends right in with the other flavors, you won’t even know it is there. For my smoothie, I use an orange, half of a banana, 6 large strawberries, a few handfuls of spinach, Greek yogurt, and ice. I use plain Greek yogurt, it is my personal favorite, but any plain yogurt will do. I blend everything together in our Blendtec blender and it is ready in no time. This recipe makes 2 servings, so I put one in the freezer for later.

If you are trying to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet, give this Green Smoothie a go. It is easy to make and is loaded with all kinds of good for you ingredients. I love sipping on a “Green Goblin” after my workouts. This smoothie is also great for breakfast or a healthy snack. Enjoy!

Green Smoothie

Yield: 2 servings

This simple Green Smoothie is a great way to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet. I promise it is delicious and nutritious!

1 large orange, peeled and segmented
1/2 of a large banana, cut into chunks
6 large strawberries
2 cups spinach
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup ice

1. Put all of the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.

Note-I use our Blendtec Blender which is a very powerful machine. Make sure you use a powerful blender that will puree the orange, spinach, ice, etc. I like to store one serving of the smoothie in the freezer for later. Pour in an air-tight container and freeze. Make sure you take the smoothie out of the freezer about 30 minutes before you want to drink it. You can also store the smoothie in the refrigerator.

If you like this Green Smoothie, you might also like:

Yum Pin It

250 Responses to “Green Smoothie”

1. Pingback: One Simple Change: How to Make a Healthy Smoothie | Healthy Green Kitchen

2. Pingback: One Simple Change: How to Make a Healthy Smoothie | Easy And Healthy Meals

3. Pingback: Green Smoothies a sure sign of Spring! « Trisha Morris – Personal Chef

4. Ashley M — April 23, 2012 @ 3:09 pm

I have made a lot of smoothies before and when I saw there was 2 cups of spinach and no sugar to balance it out, I was skeptical. Low and behold it was delicious!! I subbed in about a 1/2 oc ups of OJ for the orange and added more strawberries. Thanks so much!

5. Pingback: 45 Healthy Foods to Make and Never Buy Again « The Adventures of Thrive Farm

6. Andy — April 25, 2012 @ 11:16 am

Mmmmm, I can’t get enough of green smoothies! What a great way to get lots of veggies into your diet. The only problem is the Blendtec blender though – it’s so expensive and the Vitamix is only more-so. I found that the Omni-Blend (www.3hpblenders.com) is a great value for anyone looking for a high-quality blender without the $400 pricetag.

7. Dhana — April 26, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

With your recipe can ya really taste the bananas? I loath bananas, so I’d be apt to try it sans the banana, but if I couldnt taste the banana I’d be apt to try it with because of all the heathful stuff in bananas…

Please advise

8. Two Peas — April 26, 2012 @ 5:03 pm

The banana flavor isn’t strong, but you can taste it. The banana makes the smoothy creamy!

9. Pingback: Nom or Not: Green Smoothies | The Healthier Me

10. Michelle — May 2, 2012 @ 8:42 pm

I make a smoothie very similar to this, only it has no spinach in it! :)

1 banana
    1 avocado
    1 cup plain Chobani Greek yogurt
    1/3 cup pure natural honey
    1/2 lime juice
    1 1/2 – 2 cups ice

Blend it all together, it’s an amazing and healthy smoothie! The banana, avocado and honey do very much the same as the spinach and strawberries do, and it’s a great substitution for people who are spinach-sensitive like I am!

But this is a great recipe too, for people who can handle spinach. :)

Cheers!

11. Michelle — May 2, 2012 @ 8:44 pm

Oh, and I forgot to add that I put 1 cup pure orange juice in my smoothie recipe too. :)

12. Misty Christian — May 3, 2012 @ 10:32 am

I have a green smoothie everyday for breakfast. I use whatever fruit I have on hand, but my fave is orange and strawberries with greek yogurt, a splash of almond milk, and if I have worked out, I add half a scoop of choco protien powder

13. Pingback: Lovely Links | Olivine's Charm School

14. Lauren — May 4, 2012 @ 3:26 pm

I don’t know what I did wrong but my smoothies do not turn as green as your picture shows. Its kind of brownish red…strawberries too large? It tasted good tho.

15. Lauren — May 28, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

This was very good, but I honestly don’t get how your smoothie turned such a pretty, bright green color. Mine is pea green at best, and I’ve had this issue with other green smoothies I’ve tried. Am I missing something?

16. Maggie — May 29, 2012 @ 9:45 am

Did anyone else’s turn out an ugly brown color? Used the exact recipe, but I wish it were as pretty as the picture! Still, delicious :)

17. Pingback: i na Internetove.eu | PR články