Heirloom Tomato Pesto Galette
Heirloom Tomato Pesto Galette, a savory galette recipe that is perfect for summer time!
The summer is flying by and that makes me sad, but the summer produce is cheering me right up! I can’t get enough! I am currently obsessed with heirloom tomatoes. I love eating them with a little salt and pepper, but I also enjoy using them in recipes. I recently made an Heirloom Tomato Pesto Galette that screams summer. It is so full of flavor thanks to the heirloom tomatoes.
We make galettes for dessert all of the time. A few favorites include: Blueberry Almond Streusel Galette, Apple Toffee Galette, and Pear Galette. We rarely make savory galettes though. I don’t know why…oh, wait, it probably has something to do with my sweet tooth:)
I figured it was time to make a savory galette with the heirloom tomatoes I picked up at Whole Foods Market. They had a fantastic selection so I loaded up my basket.
I love heirloom tomatoes because there are so many varieties and each tomato is so unique. Look at those beauties!
Not only are they pretty, but they are delicious too! I used a few different varieties to make the galette. I wanted contrast in color and flavor.
The galette dough is simple to make and can be made in advance, just keep it in the fridge until you are ready to roll it out.
I sliced the heirloom tomatoes and placed them on a paper towel to remove some of their juices. I didn’t want the galette to get soggy. I spread the galette with our favorite Spinach Basil Pesto and placed the beautiful tomato slices on top! I baked until the galette was golden brown.
We served the galette with a simple salad for dinner. The fresh basil pesto and heirloom tomatoes were a match made in heaven. The buttery rustic galette was the perfect base too!
I don’t know why it took me so long to make a savory galette. I loved it and so did Josh and Caleb. We will be making this Heirloom Tomato Pesto Galette again!
What is your favorite way to enjoy heirloom tomatoes? Leave a comment on this post and you will be entered to win a $50 gift card to Whole Foods Market. Giveaway ends on August 14th at 11:59 p.m. MST. U.S. residents only.
Update: The gift card winner is Lisa Kirk (#149).
Heirloom Tomato Pesto Galette
Savory galette with basil pesto and heirloom tomatoes. Serve with a salad and you have a wonderful summer meal!
Yield: Serves 6-8
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
1 3/4 cups all-purpose Gold Medal flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 cup coarse cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup buttermilk
3 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced
1/3 cup basil pesto
1 egg, beaten
1. To make the dough, combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, and salt in a processor; pulse 2-3 times. Add butter and pulse 4-5 times, or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With the processor running, slowing pour the buttermilk through the chute, processing until the dough forms a ball. Remove the dough ball and adhere any remaining pieces of dough to it, then wrap in plastic wrap or parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before rolling out.
2. Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Remove the galette dough from the refrigerator and place on a sheet of parchment paper. Starting at the center of the dough, roll out, forming a 14-15-inch wide circle. Place the dough with parchment paper on a baking sheet.
3. Slice the heirloom tomatoes and place them on paper towels. Brush the galette dough with pesto. Place the tomato slices on top of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold the dough border over the tomatoes, overlapping where necessary and pressing gently to adhere the folds. Lightly brush the edge of the dough with the beaten egg.
4. Bake the galette for 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool to room temperature before slicing. Slice and serve.
*Note-you can make the galette dough in advance. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days. You can use store-bought pesto if you are in a pinch, but we like to use our Spinach Basil Pesto. And any heirloom tomatoes will work for this recipe!
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
If you like this Heirloom Tomato Pesto Galette, you might also like:
- Tomato, Peach, and Burrata Salad from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Heirloom Tomato and Lemon Mascarpone Tart from Whole Foods Market
- Heirloom Tomato Salad from Skinnytaste
- Savory Corn Tart with Heirloom Tomatoes from Whole Foods Market
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Whole Foods Market but our opinions are our own.