Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels with Rosemary Cheddar Cheese Sauce

Happy National Pretzel Day! Yes, there is a special day dedicated to pretzels. I am A-Ok with that because I love pretzels. I’ve always been a fan. In grade school, I always brought a brown bag lunch to school. I always asked my dad for a peanut butter, banana, & honey sandwich, an apple, and pretzel sticks…and of course a cookie for dessert:) I love salty pretzels in any shape or form. My new favorite pretzels are these homemade soft Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels. They are fantastic!

Josh is the pretzel master at our house. He always makes them and I eat them. It’s a rough job but somebody has to do it:) This time he added fresh rosemary and sea salt to the dough. The combination is awesome! They are good plain, but he made a rosemary cheese sauce that knocked my socks off. I loved dunking my pretzel into the cheese sauce.

The pretzels are really easy to make. I promise. Don’t let the yeast and twisting the dough scare you. They are fun to make and eat! Celebrate National Pretzel Day with these Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels. They make a great snack!

Here are a few other pretzel recipes to help you celebrate National Pretzel Day! Enjoy!

Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels with Rosemary Cheddar Cheese Sauce

Yield: 8 large soft pretzels

Soft homemade pretzels with fresh rosemary and sea salt. Dip them into a rosemary cheese sauce for a great snack!

For the pretzels:

1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
Canola oil, to grease bowl
3 quarts water
2/3 cups baking soda
1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
Coarse sea salt

For the Rosemary Cheese Sauce:

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. To make the pretzels: combine the water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.

2. Add the salt, flour, and rosemary to the mixture and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.

3. Coat a large bowl with canola oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size. This will take about 1 hour.

4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Bring the water to a boil in a large pot.

5. Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope. To shape into pretzels, take the right side and cross over to the left. Cross right to left again and flip up. Slowly add the baking soda to the boiling water. Boil the pretzels in the water solution, 2 at a time for 30 seconds, splashing the tops with the warmed water using a spoon. Remove with a large flat slotted spatula or a spider. Place 4 pretzels on each baking sheet, brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with sea salt. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until pretzels are golden brown.

6. Remove pretzels from oven and let cool on a wire baking rack.

7. To make the Rosemary Cheese Sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and whisk in flour. Pour in the milk and whisk until the mixture thickens. Stir in shredded cheese, stir until cheese is melted and smooth. Stir in fresh rosemary and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with pretzels.

Pretzel recipe adapted from Bobby Flay

194 Responses to “Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels with Rosemary Cheddar Cheese Sauce”

Lia Simpson — November 13, 2012 @ 9:48 am

I’d like to give these as a gift. Do you know if the cheese sauce reheats well?

Corinna — November 14, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

These look awesome! So glad I found you through Pinterest.

Heather — November 16, 2012 @ 10:44 pm

Found this on Pinterest yesterday and tried them today. They are fabulous. My husband gave them an 11 out of 10 without the cheese sauce (and he is a everything is better with cheese/you can never have too much cheese kind of guy). I can’t wait to make them again for company.

emily — December 4, 2012 @ 2:21 pm

These pretzels are SO amazing, they came out picture perfect and tasted like heaven!

Nicole — December 15, 2012 @ 11:12 am

Just made these pretzels. Yum! Thanks!

6. Pingback: Homemade Soft Pretzels

Elizabeth — February 3, 2013 @ 1:51 am

Made these tonight as a practice run for a superbowl party tomorrow – they were incredible. Had to give half to the neighbor so I wouldn’t eat ALL of them. Thank you for such an easy recipe! I had no idea they were so simple. Thanks again!

• Two Peas replied: — February 3rd, 2013 @ 10:47 am

Glad you liked the pretzels! Have fun at your party!

Jennifer — February 4, 2013 @ 5:55 pm

These would make great “buns” for pork sandwiches! Bookmarking this recipe for sure.

• Two Peas replied: — February 4th, 2013 @ 7:24 pm

Great idea!

Liren — February 17, 2013 @ 2:13 pm

I’ve been itching to make homemade pretzels for FOREVER! These look fabulous!

10. Pingback: Homemade German Pretzels - Amanda's Cookin'

Erin Koss — February 17, 2013 @ 11:44 pm

The crowd of teenage boys loved these. I skipped the sauce and omitted the rosemary.m Swipe with butter, then toss on some Parmesan cheese, cinnamon sugar or just salt on. I’d consider making 16 smaller rather than 8 next time. Te are pretty big.

12. Pingback: Mmmm….soft pretzels…. | My First Cooking Blog

jana — March 1, 2013 @ 4:49 pm

just wonder whether the 2/3 cups baking soda ingredient is a typo – I would normally detect even a spoon of baking soda in a dough and this amount here seems a little excessive given the
    1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)

• Two Peas replied: — March 1st, 2013 @ 4:51 pm

The baking soda isn’t “in” the dough recipe. It is for boiling the pretzels.

14. Pingback: Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels with Rosemary Cheddar Cheese Sauce

15. Pingback: Bountiful Basket Recipes ending 4/6 | Life Laughter Everything

Kelly m — May 1, 2013 @ 10:02 pm

I saw these first on insockmonkeyslippers.com. Such a great combo!

Marissa — May 2, 2013 @ 12:25 pm

These are delicious. I had no idea that pretzels were boiled before baking, but these are exactly like the soft pretzels I remember. I live in Europe and had a craving for a soft pretzel and these hit the mark. Thank you for a delicious and easy recipe. The rosemary was just enough for a special flavor.

• Two Peas replied: — May 2nd, 2013 @ 10:05 pm

Glad you liked the pretzels!

18. Pingback: Pretzels de romero, sal marina y salsa de queso cheddar | alexia bakecelona

Sam M. | Atkinson Drive — May 5, 2013 @ 5:58 pm

This looks delicious! I would love for you to add it, and anything else you fancy, to the Pinworthy Projects link party! http://www.atkinsondrive.com/pinworthy-projects-party-week-18/

20. Pingback: Monday Funday | injest

Kim — May 7, 2013 @ 5:14 pm

This looks soooo good! I love pretzels and cheese. I don’t have a stand mixer; could the dough be achieved in a bread machine?

Reese — May 10, 2013 @ 4:20 am

Excellent! I halved the recipe and made dough in my bread machine, thren molded pretzels, rose, boiled and baked. I also made 8 small instead of 4 large ones. And I added flax and chia seeds. My husband loved them, and so did I!

I just tried these a couple days ago and they were divine! Thanks for sharing this recipe. But I have a big question: When I took the pretzels out from the pot of water with a slotted spoon, they were pretty wet and then stuck to the wax paper. I thought it’d be OK because it is wax paper after all, but when they were done baking, all the pretzels stuck like glue to the paper. Any suggestions? Should I have sprayed the wax paper with nonstick spray?

Thanks!

Nadya — May 23, 2013 @ 7:24 am

Good day! These looks good! Let me ask you, how many grams in your cup, which you measured out the ingredients?

25. Pingback: Brain Food: Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels | Nicole A. Yang Blog

26. Pingback: Πεντανόστημα Pretzels Με Σως Τυριού | Misswebbie.gr

Amanda — September 1, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

These were fantastic!

28. Pingback: Hello, Friday! Link Roundup | Hello Little Home

Shandra — October 18, 2013 @ 10:13 am

If I don’t have a stand mixer but I have a hand mixer and a food processor would it still be best to hand work the dough or should I use one of the aforementioned mixers instead? Thanks!

Gardener — November 5, 2013 @ 11:02 am

Why all the comments on Wanting or Wishing you could make or eat these. Some of us really do cook would like to see comments by who actually made these and get tips and comments on how it came out. I hate sifting through 4 pages of blathering oohs and ahhs when you haven’t even tried to make it. Of course they look good, but hold of on typing about it until you’ve tried making it. This is a recipe blog, which implies you want to make things.

31. Pingback: November Oktoberfest 2013 | The Life Album

Sarah Levannier — November 27, 2013 @ 1:15 pm

Every time I come on this blog, I always find very inspiring recipes and as usual, stunning pictures! I have to try those pretzels at home!!

33. Pingback: Rosemary Sea Salt Death Pretzels | DOUBLE MEAT TOFU

34. Pingback: IB Kitchen Club - Page 63

35. Pingback: Rosemary Pretzels and Recipe » My Website / Blog

Ceilidh — January 25, 2014 @ 3:04 pm

Hi :) I’m looking forward to bringing these to a Super Bowl party. I have a couple questions though:

1) Can I make the pretzels a day ahead? I work the morning of the Super Bowl, so I would be looking to make the pretzels the day before. Would they harden?
    2) Can the cheese sauce be re-heated? (in the microwave for instance)

Thanks :)

Cindie — January 29, 2014 @ 8:56 pm

Made these on a rare Snow Day in Georgia. They were fabulous! I used two different pans, one non – stick by farberware. They stuck to the regular pan, but lifted easily from the non stick. I will definitely make these again!

Kira J. — February 1, 2014 @ 8:45 pm

Is it possible to make these with White Whole Wheat Flour?? We are trying to cut out white flour from our diets and I just wasn’t sure if you would get the same texture. These look delicious and I would love to make them!

Heidi — February 2, 2014 @ 7:03 pm

Maria, I made these today for the Super Bowl, and we are enjoying them right now, while watching the game. They are soft, warm and wonderful and taste like Heaven . The rosemary is a perfect flavor match, and I found 4 and 1/2 C of flour to be perfect. Thanks for this wonderful recipe!!

40. Pingback: Pretzels from Scratch |