Strawberry Nutella Muffins

I am still on my strawberry kick. If we run out it it is a very sad day so we try to keep our refrigerator stocked with strawberries at all times. I used some of my precious strawberries to create Strawberry Nutella Muffins. Last year, I made Pumpkin Nutella Bread and fell in love, so I thought I would try adding Nutella to my strawberry muffins. These muffins are out of this world. There really are no words to describe their deliciousness.

Strawberries and Nutella are a match made in heaven. I may have dipped a few strawberries in the Nutella jar while making these muffins. I needed a pre-muffin snack. Don’t judge-I am pregnant:)

I chopped up fresh strawberries and gently folded them into my muffin batter. I filled half of the muffin cups with strawberry batter and then added a spoonful of Nutella. I covered the Nutella with the remaining batter and sprinkled the muffins with turbinado sugar.

I had a hard time taking photos of these muffins. I was too anxious to taste them. Finally, I unwrapped a muffin and took a big bite. Pure joy!  These strawberry Nutella muffins are almost too good to be true.

The muffins are tender with juicy strawberry pieces that are surrounded by rich Nutella. I also love the sugary muffin tops. They are pretty and add a nice sweet crunch.

So, should you make these muffins for breakfast or dessert? It’s up to you. I think they are good anytime of the day. Just promise me you will make these Strawberry Nutella Muffins. They are too good not to share!

Strawberry Nutella Muffins

Yield: Makes 9 muffins

Cook Time: 17-20 minutes

Strawberry Nutella muffins made with fresh strawberries and filled with Nutella. These muffins are great for breakfast or dessert.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1/3 cup Nutella
Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top of muffins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease well. Set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.

3. In a small bowl, combine canola oil, egg, buttermilk, and vanilla together. Use a fork or whisk and mix until well combined.

5. Incorporate the wet ingredients into flour mixture. Add slowly and gently stir, you don’t want to over mix. The batter will be thick. Carefully fold in the strawberries.

6. Fill each muffin cup half way with batter. Next, add a small spoonful of Nutella to each muffin cup. Cover the Nutella filling with the remaining batter. Sprinkle each muffin with turbinado sugar.

7. Bake muffins for 17-20 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the pan and let cool on a cooling rack.

If you like these Strawberry Nutella Muffins, you might also like:

Chocolate Chip Muffins from Two Peas and Their Pod
Nutella Banana Muffins from Miss in the Kitchen
Nutella Cupcakes from Handle the Heat
Pumpkin Nutella Snack Cake from Two Peas and Their Pod

164 Responses to “Strawberry Nutella Muffins”

kerri bryan — June 7, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

These were a hit! Love the strawberry & Nutella combo.

I linked you on my blog

wada — June 9, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

Hemos probado estos muffins y están deliciosos! gracias por la receta.
    Puedes verlos en este enlace Muffins de Fresas y Nutella

Un saludo!

Alicia W. — June 11, 2011 @ 11:52 am

Holy moly. These are in my oven right now. You have no idea how obsessed I’ve been with strawberries and nutella (together) for the past 3 days or so. I might just scream, I’m so excited! :D

Marilyn — June 18, 2011 @ 3:51 pm

I used your idea to make a cake. Wow…..that’s all I can say. :-)

Amanda — June 20, 2011 @ 8:52 pm

This muffins are sooo delish! I went strawberry picking this weekend and have been waiting to make these muffins until I did. They are soo good I already have plans to make a second batch! Thanks for the recipie 2 peas & their pod!! Def a keeper!!

Kristin in Mobile — June 23, 2011 @ 10:47 pm

Hi! I discovered you a week or so ago, and am in love :)

So I have a confession – I had never tried Nutella before (THE HORROR!!!)……..but have been obsessed with this recipe since I saw it!! I ran out to the grocery store at 10pm the other night, intent on making these – but there were no good strawberries to be had (damn you, Food World!) Grrrrrrr…….

Finally, today I was able to make it to the store, and my daughters (8 & 4) and I ALL tried Nutella for the first time together (Seriously – how on earth have I missed this?!?!?!) AND made these incredible muffins!!!!!!!

OH. MY.

I’ll be here often – thanks! :)

7. Pingback: Red, white, and blue muffins…minus the blue. « 2catladies

Summer — July 7, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

Any idea how frozen strawberries would work in this? I have a whole gallon in my freezer.

• Two Peas replied: — July 8th, 2011 @ 8:54 am

I haven’t tried the muffins with frozen berries, but I am sure they would work! Let me know if you make them!

Emilie C. — July 24, 2011 @ 12:38 am

Just wanted to say thanks for this recipe. They are amazing when warm out of the oven. My kids and I adore these muffins and have fun making them together too. So delicious and fun.

• Two Peas replied: — July 24th, 2011 @ 11:03 am

You are welcome! Glad you liked the Strawberry Nutella Muffins!

Kara — August 3, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

I just made these for breakfast this morning and they were a huge hit! My youngest, who is not always a fan of fruit in muffins, asked me when I was going to make more. Thanks for another awesome recipe Maria!

• Two Peas replied: — August 3rd, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

Yay! Glad your son enjoyed the muffins!

Julia — August 22, 2011 @ 11:11 am

I kinda feel like these would be a little party in my mouth. Delish!!!!

Aleta — September 1, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

I made these muffins this morning. They were AMAZING!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

sarah, simply cooked — September 5, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

Hi Maria, I wanted to let you know that I adapted these muffins: I made them with whole wheat flour and made a few other changes. Thanks for the inspiration. What a great idea!

14. Pingback: Strawberry Muffins with Nutella | Creations by Kara

Kara — September 6, 2011 @ 10:03 am

Finally made these and posted them on my website. They were awesome! Thanks so much for yet another awesome recipe Maria!

• Two Peas replied: — September 6th, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

You are welcome! So glad you liked the muffins!

Juliana Graef — September 20, 2011 @ 8:48 pm

I just baked them! SUPER easy to make and delicious!! I ate 3 at once… If my husband didn’t stop by and hadn’t seen them I think I would have eaten many more!!!! How to change the recipe to be able to make 12?

Anke — September 29, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

I recently made a bunch of them (love love love) and decided I shouldn’t (but wanted to) eat them all. I made a lot of people happy during my Muffin delivery run! I love this recipe… :)

18. Pingback: Strawberry Nutella Muffins « Bashfulbao

Theresa — January 9, 2012 @ 11:54 am

These muffins turned out great! My kids loved them! Thanks!

Rita Cruz — January 15, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

These look great, I can’t wait to try them! But I’m from Portugal and we don’t use buttermilk here – what can I substitute it for??

• Two Peas replied: — January 15th, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

You can use regular milk.

Rita Cruz — January 20, 2012 @ 10:04 am

I made them yesterday and they turned out great, thank you!

Jenny — February 8, 2012 @ 1:44 pm

Just made these muffins this morning as a test run for a Valentine’s brunch I’ll be hosting this weekend. The verdict – yummy!

I used frozen strawberries which I thawed slightly before chopping. And, since I had forgotten to purchase buttermilk, I followed instructions I found online for a buttermilk substitute (1 T lemon juice + 1 c. milk. Let stand for 5 minutes and then use in recipe like buttermilk).

The muffins were moist and not overly sweet, which is good considering there’s a nice layer of Nutella in there to give them plenty of sweetness. One thing I will try next time, as suggested above, is to warm the Nutella a bit before drizzling it on the muffin batter.

Cass — February 13, 2012 @ 9:32 am

I just made these today for Valentine’s and they tasted gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    I am wondering, though, how long will I be able to store them for?

• Two Peas replied: — February 13th, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

I store them on the counter. They are good for 1-2 days.

Fi — February 19, 2012 @ 6:17 am

Hey, how many muffins does that make? thanks!

• Two Peas replied: — February 20th, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

It makes 9 regular size muffins.

Patti B — March 13, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

These are too scrumtious for words! Made them this morning and they were a wonderful hit with my grandson as well…….Loved that they’re not too sweet. The little sprinkling of coarse sugar on top is just the right touch.
    Thank you!

26. Pingback: Muffins de Fresas y Nutella | CUPCAKES, FROSTING Y BUTTERCREAM. DECORACIÓN Y RECETAS DE CUPCAKES

ellen tinder — March 28, 2012 @ 6:44 am

could you use frozen strawberries?

• Two Peas replied: — March 28th, 2012 @ 10:11 am

I haven’t used frozen strawberries, but I am sure they would work out just fine. Enjoy!

Laura — March 30, 2012 @ 7:43 am

Mmmmmmmmmmmmh delicious just took them out of the oven. The kids will love me when they come from school :-) what a nice treat to start the weekend !!!

29. Pingback: To eat

christina — April 28, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

Hi, came across your blog and this is wonderful! I’m a photographer and a foodie so I appreciate both the recipe and all the photos. Can’t wait to try the recipe tomorrow morning! I already see other recipes I want to make. =)

• Two Peas replied: — April 29th, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

Thank you so much!

31. Pingback: Strawberry Nutella Muffins | ORGANIZED-CHAOS

Dena — July 12, 2012 @ 11:28 am

I made these last night and brought them in to work for a friend’s birthday today. I’ve had several positive comments. They are a dense, not overly sweet muffin that I would love to warm up and slather more nutella on (if I were home). Hopefully there will be one leftover for me to take home :) Thanks!

Cathy O — July 28, 2012 @ 8:34 pm

Just made these tonight, for my husband to take to work tomorrow. OMG – had this recipe bookmarked for about a year, and sorry I didn’t make these 12 months ago. They are awesome – love the strawberry and nutella combo. Like a chocolate covered strawberry in a muffin! Thanks for the recipe.

34. Pingback: Strawberry Nutella Muffins | Diary of a Teenage Baker

I loved them and blogged about them! I forgot to sprinkle the turbinado sugar though, haha. Definitely will make again. I’ve linked you in my blogroll because I bake from your site a lot :)

• Two Peas replied: — August 8th, 2012 @ 6:38 pm

Glad you liked the muffins!

36. Pingback: » Strawberry Nutella Muffins