Strawberry Nutella Muffins

I am still on my strawberry kick. If we run out it it is a very sad day so we try to keep our refrigerator stocked with strawberries at all times. I used some of my precious strawberries to create Strawberry Nutella Muffins. Last year, I made Pumpkin Nutella Bread and fell in love, so I thought I would try adding Nutella to my strawberry muffins. These muffins are out of this world. There really are no words to describe their deliciousness.

Strawberry Nutella Muffins on twopeasandtheirpod.com Love the Nutella surprise inside!

Strawberries and Nutella are a match made in heaven. I may have dipped a few strawberries in the Nutella jar while making these muffins. I needed a pre-muffin snack. Don’t judge-I am pregnant:)

I chopped up fresh strawberries and gently folded them into my muffin batter. I filled half of the muffin cups with strawberry batter and then added a spoonful of Nutella. I covered the Nutella with the remaining batter and sprinkled the muffins with turbinado sugar.

I had a hard time taking photos of these muffins. I was too anxious to taste them. Finally, I unwrapped a muffin and took a big bite. Pure joy!  These strawberry Nutella muffins are almost too good to be true.

The muffins are tender with juicy strawberry pieces that are surrounded by rich Nutella. I also love the sugary muffin tops. They are pretty and add a nice sweet crunch.

So, should you make these muffins for breakfast or dessert? It’s up to you. I think they are good anytime of the day. Just promise me you will make these Strawberry Nutella Muffins. They are too good not to share!

Strawberry Nutella Muffins

Yield: Makes 9 muffins

Cook Time: 17-20 minutes

Strawberry Nutella muffins made with fresh strawberries and filled with Nutella. These muffins are great for breakfast or dessert.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1/3 cup Nutella
Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top of muffins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease well. Set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.

3. In a small bowl, combine canola oil, egg, buttermilk, and vanilla together. Use a fork or whisk and mix until well combined.

5. Incorporate the wet ingredients into flour mixture. Add slowly and gently stir, you don’t want to over mix. The batter will be thick. Carefully fold in the strawberries.

6. Fill each muffin cup half way with batter. Next, add a small spoonful of Nutella to each muffin cup. Cover the Nutella filling with the remaining batter. Sprinkle each muffin with turbinado sugar.

7. Bake muffins for 17-20 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the pan and let cool on a cooling rack.

If you like these Strawberry Nutella Muffins, you might also like:

Chocolate Chip Muffins from Two Peas and Their Pod
Nutella Banana Muffins from Miss in the Kitchen
Nutella Cupcakes from Handle the Heat
Pumpkin Nutella Snack Cake from Two Peas and Their Pod

Yum Pin It

164 Responses to “Strawberry Nutella Muffins”

1. Pingback: Nutella Recipe Roundup « A Snail's Life

2. Nina T. — May 27, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

OMGosh I am soooooo drooling!!! Can’t wait to make these!!! Thank you!

3. Darla @ Bakingdom — May 28, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

Ummmm…so we made these for breakfast this morning. They really are out of this world! Thank you for such a fantastic recipe!

4. PDXBaker — May 31, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

I made these this weekend, and they turned out amazing! I did have to make them twice though and baked the second batch for about 26 minutes before they were done. I took the first batch out after 20 minutes and they were still a little gooey on top(so naturally I kept that batch to eat myself!) great recipe!

5. Danielle — June 1, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

I made these yesterday! just couldn’t stay away from the nutella/ strawberry combo. They were very good, although I had to add extra liquid to the batter because our batter came out looking much more like dry cookie dough than muffin batter. overall they were good though! nice job!

6. jess☆ — June 2, 2011 @ 10:18 pm

Oh my god!!! I just made some of these a week ago and am just seeing this post for the first time!! Except my Nutella sank straight to the bottom of my cupcakes – kudos for getting yours to stay up top where it belongs!! Might have to give them another try now :)

7. Celine — June 5, 2011 @ 7:06 pm

Just made these this afternoon after seeing them on Foodgawker!! Oh my are these good!! TFS!

8. Two Peas — June 5, 2011 @ 7:55 pm

I am glad you spotted the muffins on Foodgawker. They are so good! Glad you liked them!

9. Lauren — June 6, 2011 @ 9:47 am

I just found this recipe today and decided to give it a shot. The batter is REALLY thick, like cookie dough thick. Did I do something wrong? They are in the oven now, so waiting to see….

10. Two Peas — June 6, 2011 @ 9:53 am

The batter is thick, but mine wasn’t cookie dough thick. Add a few more tablespoons of buttermilk. I hope you like them!

11. Kelly — June 7, 2011 @ 10:12 am

I made these for early morning seminary and they received rave reviews. I just blogged about them as well. Thanks for a great recipe! One thing I found helpful was to slightly warm the nutella in the microwave before drizzling over the muffin batter. Love your blog and recipes! Kelly

12. kerri bryan — June 7, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

These were a hit! Love the strawberry & Nutella combo.

I linked you on my blog

13. Two Peas — June 7, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

Glad the muffins got rave reviews!

14. wada — June 9, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

Hemos probado estos muffins y están deliciosos! gracias por la receta.
    Puedes verlos en este enlace Muffins de Fresas y Nutella

Un saludo!

15. Alicia W. — June 11, 2011 @ 11:52 am

Holy moly. These are in my oven right now. You have no idea how obsessed I’ve been with strawberries and nutella (together) for the past 3 days or so. I might just scream, I’m so excited! 😀

16. Marilyn — June 18, 2011 @ 3:51 pm

I used your idea to make a cake. Wow…..that’s all I can say. :-)

17. Amanda — June 20, 2011 @ 8:52 pm

This muffins are sooo delish! I went strawberry picking this weekend and have been waiting to make these muffins until I did. They are soo good I already have plans to make a second batch! Thanks for the recipie 2 peas & their pod!! Def a keeper!!

18. Kristin in Mobile — June 23, 2011 @ 10:47 pm

Hi! I discovered you a week or so ago, and am in love :)

So I have a confession – I had never tried Nutella before (THE HORROR!!!)……..but have been obsessed with this recipe since I saw it!! I ran out to the grocery store at 10pm the other night, intent on making these – but there were no good strawberries to be had (damn you, Food World!) Grrrrrrr…….

Finally, today I was able to make it to the store, and my daughters (8 & 4) and I ALL tried Nutella for the first time together (Seriously – how on earth have I missed this?!?!?!) AND made these incredible muffins!!!!!!!

OH. MY.

I’ll be here often – thanks! :)

19. Pingback: Red, white, and blue muffins…minus the blue. « 2catladies

20. Summer — July 7, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

Any idea how frozen strawberries would work in this? I have a whole gallon in my freezer.

21. Two Peas — July 8, 2011 @ 8:54 am

I haven’t tried the muffins with frozen berries, but I am sure they would work! Let me know if you make them!

22. Emilie C. — July 24, 2011 @ 12:38 am

Just wanted to say thanks for this recipe. They are amazing when warm out of the oven. My kids and I adore these muffins and have fun making them together too. So delicious and fun.

23. Two Peas — July 24, 2011 @ 11:03 am

You are welcome! Glad you liked the Strawberry Nutella Muffins!

24. Kara — August 3, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

I just made these for breakfast this morning and they were a huge hit! My youngest, who is not always a fan of fruit in muffins, asked me when I was going to make more. Thanks for another awesome recipe Maria!

25. Two Peas — August 3, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

Yay! Glad your son enjoyed the muffins!

26. Julia — August 22, 2011 @ 11:11 am

I kinda feel like these would be a little party in my mouth. Delish!!!!

27. Aleta — September 1, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

I made these muffins this morning. They were AMAZING!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

28. sarah, simply cooked — September 5, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

Hi Maria, I wanted to let you know that I adapted these muffins: I made them with whole wheat flour and made a few other changes. Thanks for the inspiration. What a great idea!

29. Pingback: Strawberry Muffins with Nutella | Creations by Kara

30. Kara — September 6, 2011 @ 10:03 am

Finally made these and posted them on my website. They were awesome! Thanks so much for yet another awesome recipe Maria!

31. Two Peas — September 6, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

You are welcome! So glad you liked the muffins!

32. Juliana Graef — September 20, 2011 @ 8:48 pm

I just baked them! SUPER easy to make and delicious!! I ate 3 at once… If my husband didn’t stop by and hadn’t seen them I think I would have eaten many more!!!! How to change the recipe to be able to make 12?

33. Anke — September 29, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

I recently made a bunch of them (love love love) and decided I shouldn’t (but wanted to) eat them all. I made a lot of people happy during my Muffin delivery run! I love this recipe… :)

34. Pingback: Strawberry Nutella Muffins « Bashfulbao

35. Theresa — January 9, 2012 @ 11:54 am

These muffins turned out great! My kids loved them! Thanks!

36. Rita Cruz — January 15, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

These look great, I can’t wait to try them! But I’m from Portugal and we don’t use buttermilk here – what can I substitute it for??

37. Two Peas — January 15, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

You can use regular milk.

38. Rita Cruz — January 20, 2012 @ 10:04 am

I made them yesterday and they turned out great, thank you!

39. Jenny — February 8, 2012 @ 1:44 pm

Just made these muffins this morning as a test run for a Valentine’s brunch I’ll be hosting this weekend. The verdict – yummy!

I used frozen strawberries which I thawed slightly before chopping. And, since I had forgotten to purchase buttermilk, I followed instructions I found online for a buttermilk substitute (1 T lemon juice + 1 c. milk. Let stand for 5 minutes and then use in recipe like buttermilk).

The muffins were moist and not overly sweet, which is good considering there’s a nice layer of Nutella in there to give them plenty of sweetness. One thing I will try next time, as suggested above, is to warm the Nutella a bit before drizzling it on the muffin batter.

40. Cass — February 13, 2012 @ 9:32 am

I just made these today for Valentine’s and they tasted gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    I am wondering, though, how long will I be able to store them for?