I love all kinds of apples, but Josh only likes Granny Smith. I try to encourage him to eat an apple a day, but sometimes he forgets and eats donuts instead:) I always try to keep Granny Smith apples on hand, just in case he gets an apple craving. The donuts have been winning lately, so I decided to make a loaf of apple cinnamon bread with our abundance of apples.
I love using Granny Smith apples for baking because they are tart and crisp. I chopped up two apples and folded them into the cinnamon spiced bread batter. I topped the bread with a cinnamon sugar crust and let our new oven do the rest of the work. Our house quickly filled with a heavenly cinnamon aroma, it didn’t take Josh long to wander into the kitchen to see what was baking. He wanted to eat his apples now:)
This quick bread is the perfect treat to make during the fall months when apples are at their peak. Each slice of bread is filled with chunks of fresh apples. Enjoy a slice for breakfast or as a snack. And you might want to consider doubling the recipe because our one loaf didn’t last long:)
Apple Cinnamon Bread
For the Bread:
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon all spice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups chopped apples skin removed (we used Granny Smith)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 by 4 loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, all spice, and cloves. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the eggs and beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add in oil, applesauce, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Next, add the sugar and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until flour is barely combined. Gently fold in the apple chunks. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the batter in the loaf pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until loaf is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes. Loosen sides and remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this apple cinnamon bread, you might also like: