Balsamic vinaigrette is my favorite salad dressing and it’s so easy to make at home, you only need 5 ingredients. Great for drizzling over your favorite green salad, pasta salad, grilled vegetables, chicken and more!
Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe
Salad dressing is SO easy to make at home and today I am sharing my all-time favorite Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe. I have been making this simple salad dressing for years. It is a family favorite and anytime friends come over and try my balsamic vinaigrette, they ask for the recipe. They are always shocked at how simple it is to make, you only need 5 ingredients!
Balsamic Vinaigrette Ingredients
Homemade balsamic vinaigrette is SO much better than store bought dressing and is made with ingredients we always have in our kitchen.
- Balsamic Vinegar-Balsamic vinegar is a dark, concentrated vinegar, from Italy, that has a very strong, intense flavor. It is made from grape must, which is freshly crushed grape juice that uses all of the skins, seeds and stems. Balsamic is the star of the dressing so make sure you use a high quality balsamic vinegar. Not all balsamic vinegars are created equal. Look for aged balsamic, which will have deep fruity notes and woody flavors from the barrel-aging process. The vinegar will also be thicker. The cheaper varieties are more acidic and can be bitter and will affect the overall flavor of the dressing. You don’t have to spend $300 on a bottle, yes, some balsamic vinegars cost that much, but just don’t buy the very cheapest at the store. Splurge a little and your dressing will thank you!
- Olive oil-Just like the balsamic vinegar, use a high quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Dijon mustard-The mustard is the trick to getting the dressing to emulsify, plus it adds great flavor!
- Honey-Add a little honey to sweeten the dressing. If you need the dressing to be vegan, you can use pure maple syrup or agave.
- Garlic-Fresh minced garlic is a must for flavor!
- Salt and Black Pepper-always season with salt and pepper to finish the vinaigrette.
How to Make Balsamic Vinaigrette
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, garlic, salt, and black pepper. The dressing will thicken as you whisk. You can also place all of the ingredients into a jar with a lid and shake vigorously. Just make sure the lid is on tight or you will have a mess. If you need more dressing, you can easily double this recipe.
How Long Does Balsamic Vinaigrette Last?
You can store homemade balsamic vinaigrette in a jar or airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. The vinaigrette will thicken a little, but that is ok. Before using, whisk well or shake if in a jar.
Ways to Use Balsamic Vinaigrette
You can use this easy balsamic vinaigrette to dress almost any green salad. You can also use it on grilled or roasted vegetables, pasta salads, quinoa salads, couscous, chicken, fresh garden tomatoes, and more! I always have a jar in the fridge!
More Recipes You Might Like:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Store in a jar or airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Dishing Out Health