“Do you know the muffin man?” I have that nursery rhyme stuck in my head this morning, because blackberry lime muffins are on my mind. I recently made these muffins for Josh and he declared them a new favorite. I think you will agree, these blackberry lime muffins are a real treat.
I usually don’t bake breakfast treats on weekdays because of time and I like to eat oatmeal, but muffins are the exception. They don’t take long to make and they help brighten the morning. Sometimes it is nice to have a special treat during the week. When I made blackberry lime muffins for Josh, he left the house with a big grin on his face-and an extra muffin in his hand, he really enjoyed these muffins:)
These muffins are bursting with fresh, plump blackberries. I highly suggest you use fresh blackberries for these muffins. Summer berries are so sweet and delicious right now, and most likely on sale. I purchased a container of beautiful blackberries for 88 cents, a bargain! I had to make these muffins with a deal like that.
Blackberry and lime scream summer to me so I added in lime zest and juice to give the blackberries an extra dose of summer love. The sugar muffin tops are pretty and offer a nice crunch. These muffins are divine right out of the oven, but we also enjoyed them the next day.
I highly suggest you start your morning off with a batch of blackberry lime muffins. They are the perfect summer morning treat and will cheer up anyone’s day. And sorry if I got the “Muffin Man” song stuck in your head, I am still humming away:)
Blackberry Lime Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Zest of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blackberries
- Turbinado sugar-for sprinkling on muffins before baking
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 9 paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- 3. In a small bowl, add the sugar and lime zest. Rub sugar and zest together until fragrant. Add sugar and zest to the flour mixture. Whisk ingredients together.
- 4. In a glass measuring cup or small bowl, mix canola oil, egg, buttermilk, lime juice, and vanilla extract together.
- 5. Pour the wet ingredients over the flour mixture. Slowly stir together, the batter will be thick. Don't over mix. Gently fold in the blackberries.
- 6. Fill 9 muffin cups with the batter. Sprinkle each muffin with turbinado sugar.
- 7. Bake muffins for 17-20 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Let muffins cool on a cooking rack.
- *Note-you can use frozen berries, but try to use fresh blackberries. They make these muffins extra special. This recipe only makes 9 muffins, feel free to double it.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like these blackberry lime muffins, you might also like: