It is National Waffle Day! You know I love food holidays, so of course we are celebrating. And luckily I didn’t have to wake up early to make waffles. We made Brown Butter Banana Waffles last weekend and put some in the freezer. So all I had to do is pop the waffles in the toaster this morning! Happy National Waffle Day to us!
I make these waffles when our bananas are too ripe to eat on their own. I love making banana bread and banana cookies, but these Brown Butter Banana Waffles are also high on the list. They are such a great breakfast treat. They taste like banana bread, but in waffle form. And the brown butter-holy Hannah! It makes these waffles extra special. If you haven’t tried brown butter, you must change that by making these waffles. Go, right now!
The waffles are light and fluffy. They crisp up a bit, but are still soft thanks to the bananas. I like to serve them with fresh banana slices, a little drizzle of honey, and a dab of peanut butter. Josh prefers them drenched in maple syrup with butter. They are good both ways!
I highly recommend you make these Brown Butter Banana Waffles this morning…and make sure you make a big batch so you can put some in the freezer for later. They are great for lazy weekend mornings or for a quick back to school breakfast!
Brown Butter Banana Waffles
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter sliced
- 3 large eggs separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 medium very ripe bananas
- Preheat a waffle iron. Into a large bowl, sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- To brown the butter, heat a thick-bottomed skillet on medium heat. Add the sliced butter, whisking frequently. Continue to cook the butter until melted. The butter will start to foam and browned specks will begin to form at the bottom of the pan. The butter should have a nutty aroma. Watch the butter carefully because it can go from brown to burnt quickly. Remove butter from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, brown butter, honey, and vanilla. Pour into dry ingredients; stir until just combined.
- In a separate small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork; stir into batter. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gently fold into the batter.
- Ladle the recommended amount of waffle batter onto the hot waffle iron according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Close lid; cook waffle is golden brown on both sides, about 5-6 minutes. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree F oven until ready to serve.
- Serving options-fresh banana slices, honey, maple syrup, butter, or peanut butter
- Note-these waffles freeze well. To freeze, place completely cooled waffles in a freezer bag and freeze. To reheat, pop the waffles in the toaster.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like these Brown Butter Banana Waffles, you might also like:
- Belgian Cookie Dough Waffles from Dine and Dish
- Blackberry Cobbler Waffles from How Sweet It Is
- Blueberry Yogurt Waffles from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Lemon Coconut Waffles from Inspired by Charm
- Honey Yogurt Waffles from Two Peas and Their Pod
Your photos are gorgeous! Brown butter is gorgeous. Win all around!
This is a fabulous way to celebrate waffle day.
Banana bread in waffle form is such a great idea. You definitely celebrated national waffle day right!
Brown butter banana waffles?! Genius!
browned butter is my secret little weapon in the kitchen! makes everything taste THAT much better. Love how fluffy these are, Maria!
That is brilliant, Maria! You have a breakfast food gift. I am not even a breakfast person and that sounds fabulous.
these look fabulous! omyword!
These waffles look amazing!! I just made brown butter pancakes and they were awesome…I’m sure your waffles are heavenly!!
How could I not absolutely adore these waffles!?!?! They look marvelous!
These waffles look amazing! Definitely a great weekend treat! 🙂
I think every day should be National Waffle Day. Just think how many different ways you can make it.
I love banana waffles, but have never done it with brown butter. I have some bananas that are almost perfect for these, now to get everyone to leave the bananas alone….
Just made these for breakfast–outstanding! Worth the effort!
Do you add the honey with the wet ingredients? It isn’t in the directions part of the recipe. Thanks. Making these right now and already made two without the honey but added it when I looked at the ingredient list.
So when and where do you add the 2 T honey? It looks like most of the comments were made by people who never made the recipe.
Add the honey with the brown butter and vanilla.
I just googled banana waffles and this popped up! I am SO making these!! I’m glad it makes so many so I can freeze them 🙂
These turned out like soggy, waffle-shaped banana bread. Any tips for getting them crispy. (I did cook them on the highest heat my waffle iron has.)
Start on the lowest heat and then when it beeps, cook for additional time on the 2nd to highest heat.
Can we make these as pancakes instead? Anyone try it?
Who rated this recipe 2 stars? Hands down, my absolute favorite waffle of all time. The combination of the browned butter + banana is the ultimate treat. The waffles are jam-packed with flavor and are super moist. My husband requests them every time we’re craving waffles, highly recommend!
See More Comments