Classic Caesar Salad made with crisp Romaine lettuce, homemade croutons, Parmesan cheese, and creamy Caesar dressing. This popular salad is always a crowd-pleaser goes great with any meal.
I love making lots of different delicious salads: kale salad, quinoa salad, pasta salad, potato salad, fruit salad, and MORE!
The ultimate salad is THE Caesar Salad. This popular salad is made with crisp romaine leaves, crunchy croutons, Parmesan cheese, and creamy Caesar dressing. It is a classic! You can find it on most restaurant menus, but it is EASY to make at home!
Serve the salad with any meal or enjoy it for a light lunch or dinner. If you want to add protein, feel free to add chicken, shrimp, or salmon.
Table of Contents
- Romaine lettuce hearts– I like to use Romaine hearts because they are crisp and crunchy. You can use a whole head of Romaine lettuce, just make sure you remove the wilted outer leaves. They are limp and not as crisp. Also, make sure wash the lettuce before using. You can rinse and dry on paper towels or use a salad spinner.
- Caesar Dressing– homemade Caesar dressing is easy to make and tastes a lot better than store bought dressing! You can make the dressing in advance, it will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Parmesan cheese– use freshly grated or shaved Parmesan cheese.
- Homemade Croutons– I highly recommend my homemade croutons to make Caesar Salad. They are the BEST and easy to make! Make in advance and keep in an airtight container on the counter.
How to Make Croutons
Homemade croutons are the way to go! Sure, you can use store bought croutons, but if you want to enjoy the BEST Caesar Salad, make your own croutons. They really elevate the salad. Find my FULL crouton recipe HERE, but here is a run down of how you make them.
- Cut (or tear) a crusty loaf of bread into cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the bread cubes with olive oil and melted butter. Sprinkle with seasonings and toss until all of the bread cubes are well coated.
- Spread the bread cubes onto the prepared baking sheet, making sure the bread cubes are in an even layer and not touching.
- Bake, tossing halfway through, or until the croutons are golden brown. Check early to make sure you don’t burn them. Time will depend on the thickness of your bread and your oven.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Homemade Caesar Dressing is easy to whisk up and better than bottled dressing. Take the time to make your own, you will be glad you did!
You will need the following ingredients:
- Lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
You can find my Creamy Caesar Dressing recipe HERE.
The dressing will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week, so go ahead and make it in advance so the salad is easy to assemble. I love getting ahead of the game!
How to Make Caesar Salad
- Place the lettuce in a large bowl.
- Add the Caesar dressing, as much as desired, and toss until the leaves are lightly coated. I recommend starting with a little dressing, tossing, and then tasting. You might not need it all.
- Add the croutons (however many you want) and Parmesan cheese and toss again.
- Serve immediately.
What to Serve with Caesar Salad
- Spaghetti Carbonara
- Pasta Primavera
- Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Lemon Butter Chicken
- Easy Skillet Chicken Thighs
- Best Homemade Lasagna
How to Store
After the salad has been dressed and tossed, it is best to enjoy the salad right away, or at least the same day.
You can meal prep the salad so it’s easy to assemble.
- Dressing– store the dressing in a jar or airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Croutons– make the croutons and let them cool completely. When cool, store in an airtight container on the counter for up to 1 week.
- Lettuce– wash and dry the lettuce. Store in an airtight container or bag with paper towels. The paper towels will absorb moisture and keep the lettuce fresh for longer.
More Salad Recipes
- Kale Salad
- Simple Arugula Salad
- Easy Green Salad
- Easy Quinoa Salad
- Easy Spinach Salad
- Butter Lettuce Salad
- Cobb Salad
- 2 Romaine lettuce hearts, wash, dried, and chopped*
- Caesar Dressing (use desired amount)
- 1/3 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Homemade Croutons (use desired amount)
- Place the lettuce in a large bowl. Add dressing, as much as desired, and toss until the leaves are lightly coated. I recommend starting with a little dressing, tossing, and then tasting. You might not need it all.
- Add the croutons (however many you want) and Parmesan cheese and toss again. Serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod