Spaghetti and Meatballs- learn to make meatballs for spaghetti, and even get the kids involved with this easy homemade meatball recipe! Served over a bed of spaghetti with hearty marinara sauce, this pasta favorite is guaranteed to please the entire family!
Spaghetti and Meatballs Saturday!
This post is sponsored by Bounty.
The boys have been begging to make homemade meatballs, so last weekend we declared it Spaghetti and Meatball Saturday and made homemade meatballs for the first time with the boys. They had a blast helping us in the kitchen and of course they loved eating the finished product. It was a fun messy first!
I was in charge of making the sauce and spaghetti and Josh was in charge of the meatballs. I made my easy Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce to go with the spaghetti and meatballs. I put the sauce in the slow cooker and let it simmer away.
Kids Love Making Homemade Meatballs
While the sauce was simmering, Josh made the meatball mix and let the boys help roll them into balls. Caleb said making meatballs was even better than playing with play dough, ha!
Maxwell wasn’t afraid to get his hands dirty. He loved helping!
How to Make Meatballs for Spaghetti
Josh’s meatballs are made with ground beef, Italian sausage, garlic, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Since he was making the meatballs for the boys, he left out the crushed red pepper, but you could easily spice the meatballs up if you like things on the spicy side.
- Cook the meatballs in olive oil and then let them rest on a plate that has been lined with Bounty paper towels. This helps drain some of the oil off of the meatballs. Bounty is 2x more absorbent vs. the leading ordinary brand, and easily helps soak up the oil from the meatballs.
- Next put the meatballs on a large baking sheet and bakes them for about 10 minutes, so they cook all the way through.
- When the meatballs come out of the oven, they go for a swim in my hearty marinara sauce.
- Serve the meatballs and sauce over a big bed of spaghetti, and poof you have spaghetti and meatballs! And don’t forget the Parmesan cheese and garlic bread.
The boys always yell for more cheese please!
The boys were SO excited to eat their special spaghetti and meatballs meal. They were great little sous chefs.
I knew they would make a mess, so I made little bibs out of Bounty paper towels. I wanted to enjoy the moment and not the mess:) I always keep a roll of Bounty paper towels on our counter because I want to keep our new white kitchen clean.
The boys slurped up their spaghetti and dominated the meatballs.
I think they have a new favorite meal!
That smile says it all! Spaghetti and Meatballs were a hit with our boys. I know we will be making them again and again.
Of course, we will keep the Bounty paper towels close by so we can clean up all of our messy moments in the kitchen. Messy is all part of the fun!
Make Spaghetti and Meatballs for dinner! It is a fun meal from start to finish and a great meal to involve the kiddos!
If you like this Spaghetti and Meatballs recipe, you might like:
- Pasta Pomodoro
- Rigatoni with Sausage
- Sheet Pan Pasta Bake
- Chicken Parmesan Baked Pasta
- Pasta Fagioli
- One Pot Sausage Pasta
- Easy Shrimp Pasta Salad
Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Marinara sauce for serving
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Parmesan cheese and fresh basil for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add beef, sausage, bread crumbs, cheese, garlic, herbs, eggs, salt, and pepper. Stir together until combined. Roll meat mixture into 2-inch sized meatballs.
- In a large, heavy pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add meatballs in batches. Do not crowd. Brown well on bottoms before turning or meatballs will break apart. Continue cooking until browned all over. Remove meatballs to a plate that has been lined with Bounty paper towels, as each batch is finished.
- Place meatballs on a large baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until meatballs are cooked all the way through. Remove from oven.
- Place a large pot of water on to boil for spaghetti. When it boils, add salt and pasta and cook to al dente.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, put meatballs in a large pot and cover with your favorite marinara sauce. Heat over medium-low heat.
- When the spaghetti is done cooking, drain and place in a large serving bowl. Top with meatballs and marinara sauce. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Note-we like to use our slow cooker marinara sauce for this recipe, but you can use jarred sauce if you wish.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod