We always serve my dad’s famous Potato Rolls at our Thanksgiving feast. We usually make a batch of plain potato rolls and Rosemary Potato Rolls. This year we will stick with tradition and enjoy potato rolls, but we might make a batch of Cheddar Sage Biscuits as well. Who’s counting carbs on Thanksgiving? Not us! We made these biscuits for a “pre-Thanksgviing” celebration with friends and they were a big hit.
If you are afraid of yeast, this biscuit recipe is perfect for you. I know the kitchen can get a little crazy on Thanksgiving, but you won’t need to worry about these drop biscuits. They are super easy to make, only take about 15 minutes to bake, and won’t hog your oven space.
The biscuits are filled with cheddar cheese and fresh sage-one of my favorite Thanksgiving herbs. We used Kerrygold’s Reduced Fat Aged Cheddar and loved the outcome! If you can’t find Kerrygold, feel free to use your favorite cheddar cheese. We brushed the tops of the biscuits with melted butter before baking to help them brown and because you can never have too much butter:)
Add these Cheddar Sage Biscuits to your Thanksgiving menu. I promise they are simple to make and will fit in nicely with all of your holiday fixings. You really can’t go wrong with buttery, cheese loaded biscuits:)
Cheddar Sage Biscuits
- 12 biscuits
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese we used Kerrygold Reduced Fat Aged Cheddar
- 1 heaping tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Mix in cold butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in Cheddar cheese and sage. Add buttermilk and stir with a spatula until just combined.
3. Drop round spoonfuls of dough, about three tablespoons, onto prepared baking sheet. Brush biscuits with melted butter. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and serve warm.
If you like these Cheddar Sage Biscuits, you might also like: