A delicious Rhubarb Crisp to use up summer rhubarb, with the added sweetness of farm-fresh cherries and an oatmeal crisp topping. Top with vanilla ice cream for a yummy dessert!
Farmer’s Fresh Cherry Rhubarb Crisp
I love weekends in the summertime. My Saturdays usually start with an early morning run and then a trip to Salt Lake City’s Downtown farmer’s market. I like to arrive right at 8:00 to beat the crowds and heat. Last week, I purchased beautiful cherries from a local farmer. After eating handfuls and handfuls of fresh cherries, I made a cherry rhubarb crisp for dessert.
I try to purchase most of our produce from the farmer’s market during the summertime. We have a garden, but it is small, so trips to the market are important for us. I always feel like I am on a scavenger hunt. I usually make one lap around the market to scope out the goods and then I go back to make my final decisions. I am always pleased with my bag of goodies by the end of the morning. Utah has some great local farms that produce top quality fruits and vegetables.
Rhubarb + Fresh Cherry Crisp = Divine
I was very happy when I found cherries so I could make this fresh cherry rhubarb crisp. We have four rhubarb plants and one is still going strong, so I decided to add rhubarb to the crisp. The rhubarb added a nice tartness to the sweet cherries. I made an oatmeal crisp topping to cover the cherries and rhubarb. The fresh cherry crisp baked up in no time and was divine right out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
If you plan on making this cherry rhubarb crisp, I highly recommend this cherry pitter. It will make your job a lot easier. I know you will want to make this delicious crisp more than once, so the cherry pitter will come in handy:)
The winner of our Feta Friday Giveaway is Megan who said: “Strawberry Balsamic gets my attention.” Megan-please email us your contact information. We will have another feta giveaway on Friday, so come on back! Also, Josh posted a tomato feta salad on Saturday, if you missed his post, check it out!
Cherry Rhubarb Crisp
- 3 cups cherries pitted
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat an 8 by 8 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- 2. In a medium bowl, combine the cherries, rhubarb, and corn starch. Stir until well coated. Set aside.
- 3. In a separate medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Stir well. Drop the pieces over butter over the oat mixture. Use your hands or a pastry blender to combine. Mix until crumbly. Drizzle in the honey and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- 4. Pour cherries and rhubarb into the baking dish. Top with the oatmeal crisp mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until fruit is soft and the crisp is bubbly.Serve warm.
- *Note-This is crisp is best eaten the day it is made. We like it hot out of the oven with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt. Sometimes we make it in individual baking dishes, just divide the fruit and crisp topping and bake separately.
If you like this cherry rhubarb crisp, you might also like: