Chicken Parmesan Baked Pasta-chicken parmesan and cheesy baked pasta are made in one pan! This easy cheese baked pasta is a family favorite dinner!
Josh and I have been married for over nine years and have been cooking together since day one. Literally from day one because we made all of the food for our wedding:) Well, some people still don’t believe that Josh knows how to cook…until they come over for dinner and see him in action. He really knows his way around the kitchen and I am SO thankful for that. I love having a partner who shares my passion for food. Of course, we have some “heated” moments in the kitchen (and not romantic heated moments..ha!) but most of the time our kitchen is full of love and deliciousness!
One of Josh’s favorite recipes to make is this Chicken Parmesan Baked Pasta. It is a Josh staple for sure! He loves it and our boys love it too. It is one of their favorite dinner recipes!
If you love chicken parmesan, you will LOVE Josh’s Chicken Parmesan Baked Pasta. It is pure COMFORT FOOD! This twist on a classic dish is even better because everything is baked in one pan, making it an easy, cheesy, and delicious dinner.
The cheesy baked pasta is made with chicken, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, marinara sauce, and a parmesan panko topping! Finish it off with fresh basil and talk about a dinner winner! Josh usually serves garlic bread on the side making it the perfect carbolicious meal! If I am home, I will usually whip up a simple salad to go with too:)
A few tips for this easy baked pasta recipe:
- You need 2 cups of cooked chicken for this recipe. It is a great recipe for using up leftover chicken. If you don’t have leftover chicken, you can cook up some chicken real quick in a skillet. PRO TIP-use shredded rotisserie chicken to save time. Both cubed and shredded chicken work well in this recipe.
- Josh uses penne pasta, but ziti, farfalle, or fuisilli are also good options. Use whatever pasta you have in your pantry.
- Josh uses my homemade Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce, but you can use your favorite jarred pasta sauce.
- You can prep this baked pasta in advance. Put everything in the pan, cover with foil, and put in the fridge until you are ready to bake. The pasta dish reheats well, the boys love eating the leftovers. It is also a great dish to take to friends and family who are in need of a meal.
Add Josh’s Chicken Parmesan Baked Pasta recipe to your dinner menu this week. It is a delicious and comforting meal!
Chicken Parmesan Baked Pasta
- 16 oz. penne pasta
- 2 cups cooked bite-size chicken pieces or shredded chicken
- 4 cups marinara sauce can use store bought sauce
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and cook the pasta according to package directions. Rinse and drain the pasta in a colander.
- Pour pasta back into the pot and add the cooked chicken, marinara sauce, 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, and ½ cup parmesan cheese. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and panko bread crumbs and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the pasta mixture evenly into the pan. Top with the remaining 1 ½ cups of mozzarella cheese. Mix the remaining ½ cup parmesan cheese into the panko bread crumbs. Sprinkle panko mixture over the top of the pasta. Spray a large piece of foil with nonstick cooking spray and cover the pasta dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Carefully remove the foil from the pan and bake until the pasta is bubbly and panko topping is golden brown, about 5-10 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
- Note-if you don't have leftover cooked chicken or shredded chicken, cut 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts into bite size pieces and cook in olive oil until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod