Chocolate Cookies made with cocoa powder, chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, and finished with a sprinkling of flaky sea salt. This is the ULTIMATE Chocolate Cookie Recipe!
Best Chocolate Cookie Recipe
It’s no secret that I love cookies. I have posted over 200 cookie recipes on our blog, some may say that I am cookie crazy and I would say that they are 100% correct because I am CRAZY about cookies:) I have too many favorite cookies to list, but when I am in the mood for a rich, decadent chocolate cookie, I make my Ultimate Chocolate Cookies. They are the BEST chocolate cookies.
Chocolate lover’s will go CRAZY for these cookies, they are chocolate cookie perfection! Everyone will be a little cookie crazy after making these chocolate cookies:)
Double Chocolate Cookies
When I am craving a chocolate cookie, I want a CHOCOLATE cookie. I don’t want a hint of chocolate, I want a cookie that is loaded with chocolate. I don’t hold back the chocolate in my Ultimate Chocolate Cookies, I go ALL out. If you are going to eat a chocolate cookie, eat a chocolate cookie and enjoy every single bite!
For the ultimate chocolate experience, I add chocolate chips AND chocolate chunks to the chocolate cookie dough. I also press chocolate wafers or big chocolate chunks onto the tops of the cookies before they are finished baking to create chocolate puddles in the cookies. Yes, chocolate puddles! I told you these are the ultimate chocolate cookies! You can never have too much chocolate, in my opinion. Bring on the chocolate!
Tips for Making Chocolate Cookies
I am going to share a few tips so your chocolate cookies turn out perfect every single time. Don’t worry, this cookie recipe is easy and SO SO good. You are going to make them whenever you are craving chocolate and cookies…which is probably all of the time because who doesn’t crave chocolate and cookies all of the time?
- I like to use Dutch process cocoa for this chocolate cookie recipe. It is deeper, darker, and give the cookies the richest chocolate base. If you can’t find Dutch process, Hershey’s makes a special dark cocoa that is a good option or you can use regular unsweetened cocoa powder, they just won’t be as chocolaty. Still good though:)
- Whisk all of the dry ingredients together to make sure you get any lumps out of the cocoa powder.
- Make sure your butter is at room temperature and not too soft. When you press the butter gently with your thumb it should leave a slight indent. It shouldn’t be super soft, greasy, or melted.
- Stir chocolate chips AND chocolate chunks into the cookie dough. Yes, you need both to reach the maximum chocolaty goodness.
- For the chocolate chips, I use Guittard chocolate chips. For the chocolate chunks, I like to use Guittard’s Baking Wafers. I roughly chop them up for the dough and use some whole wafers for the tops of the cookies.
- When the cookies are almost done baking, I remove the baking sheet from the oven and gently press whole chocolate wafers into the tops of the cookies to create chocolate puddles. Don’t skip this step. The big chocolate puddles really make the cookies. If you can’t find the chocolate wafers, you can chop up chocolate for the cookie dough and chop up BIG chunks to go on top of the cookies. Use a high quality chocolate. I prefer semi-sweet or dark chocolate, but if you are a milk chocolate fan, you can use milk chocolate.
- When the cookies come out of the oven, sprinkle flaked sea salt on top. The hint of salt brings out the best flavor in the rich chocolate cookies.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Pro tip-eat at least one cookie when they are still warm and gooey. My favorite:)
How to Store Chocolate Cookies
The chocolate cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days on the counter. You can freeze the baked cookies for up to 2 months. Place the cooled cookies in a freezer bag and freeze.
If you want to freeze the cookie dough, roll the cookie dough into balls and place on a large baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes or until the balls are frozen. Place the cookie dough balls in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months. When ready to bake, remove from the freezer and place on a baking sheet. Bake the cookies for an additional 2 minutes. You don’t need to thaw the dough before baking.
More Cookie Recipes:
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Flourless Chocolate Cookies
Ultimate Chocolate Cookies
Chocolate Cookies Made With Cocoa Powder, Chocolate Chips, Chocolate Chunks, And Finished With A Sprinkling Of Flaky Sea Salt. The BEST Chocolate Cookies!
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 25 minutes
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- 3/4 cup chocolate baking wafers or big chocolate chunks
- Sea salt flakes for sprinkling on cookies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, sea salt, and cocoa. Set aside.
With a mixer, cream butter and sugars together until smooth. Add in eggs, one at a time. Next, add in vanilla extract and mix until combined.
Gradually add flour mixture and beat until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and chocolate chunks. Scoop the dough into rounded tablespoons and place on prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake cookies for 8 minutes and remove the baking sheet from the oven. Quickly press the chocolate wafers or big chocolate chunks gently into the tops of the cookies. Place the baking sheet back in the oven and finish baking the cookies for an additional 2 minutes or until the cookies are set around the edges but still soft in the center.
Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 3 minutes. Move to a cooling rack and cool completely.
chocolate cookies, cookies