Coconut Lime Cupcakes
I don’t bake cupcakes very often, not because I don’t like them, but to be honest, I sort of forget about them. I am always dreaming up new cookie recipes and forget that there are other desserts out there. My heart belongs to cookies🙂 The other day Josh and I were talking about how we met and how coconut cupcakes played a role in our meeting. Josh hinted that I should make the “famous” coconut cupcakes for him again. I was in a baking mood, so he got his wish:) This time I made Coconut Lime Cupcakes because Josh adores all things lime.
So you probably want to know how we met. Ok, here is the story. Note-Josh may have a slightly different version, but we all know I am always right:) It was a gorgeous spring day in Utah, so my roommate and I decided it would be fun to go on a little hike. We met up with a large group of people from our church and spent the evening hiking. We had a lot of fun and decided to invite a few people over for dessert after the hike. We just made some killer coconut cupcakes and knew they would be a hit:)
I didn’t really talk to Josh on the hike, but he ended up coming over with his roommate for dessert. We had a good time visiting and eating cupcakes. There were no sparks, no love at first sight, at least not on my end:) We did become really good friends and started hanging out almost every day. A few months later, we were watching a basketball game and Josh blurted out…so when are we going to start dating? I started cracking up. I didn’t think he was serious-he really was my best friend and I didn’t think he was interested in dating me. I’ve always had a lot of guy friends and didn’t think anything of it.
Well, he was serious and told me he was interested in dating me ever since he came over for dessert. To make a long story short, he ended up asking me on an “official” date. He showed up at my door step with a rose and we went out for sushi. That first official date led to many more dates and we were married about a year later.
Now, we joke that the coconut cupcakes were the reason Josh fell head over heels in love with me:) How could he resist me after taking a bite of such a decadent cupcake? 🙂 The coconut cupcake recipe is adapted from Ina Garten. I made a few changes this time around to make them Coconut Lime Cupcakes. I added lime zest and juice to the cupcake batter. I also made a coconut lime buttercream frosting and sprinkled coconut on top. The cupcakes are dense, with a refreshing kick of lime. Josh loved the lime twist on his favorite coconut cupcake.
These Coconut Lime Cupcakes will always be a favorite in our house! They are perfect for Spring and would be a great dessert to serve on Easter Sunday. And if you trying to win someone’s heart, make them these cupcakes. They worked on Josh:)
Coconut Lime Cupcakes
Rich and refreshing coconut lime cupcakes with a creamy coconut lime buttercream frosting. Our favorite cupcake recipe ever!
Yield: 24 cupcakes
Cook Time: 25-35 minutes
For the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 large lime
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
For the Coconut Lime Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup coconut, for sprinkling on top of cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and lime zest. Rub together with your fingers, until fragrant. In the bowl of an stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar mixture together on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla, coconut extract, lime juice, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Stir in coconut.
- Fill each liner to the top with batter. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to wire cooling rack and cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter, vanilla, and coconut extract until creamy. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, alternating with lime juice, beating until combined.
- Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with coconut.
Coconut cupcake recipe adapted from Ina GartenAll images and text ©Two Peas & Their Pod.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
If you like these Coconut Lime Cupcakes, you might also like:
- Lemon, Blueberry, Coconut Cupcakes from Verses from my Kitchen
- Skinny Coconut Cupcakes from Skinny Taste
- Coconut Nutella Cupcakes from A Spicy Perspective
- Coconut Lime Cake from Two Peas and Their Pod