This Polenta recipe is an all-time favorite – because it’s easy! Just whisk away the polenta, toss the mushrooms in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a little garlic and let them roast away into this creamy polenta dish!
Best Polenta Recipe
I have a hard time choosing a favorite meal. I have too many favorites and it depends on my mood. Creamy Polenta with Roasted Mushrooms is probably in my top 10 favorite meals. I am always in the mood for rich and creamy polenta. I could eat an entire pan if no one was watching me. I love the stuff!
The creamy polenta is good by itself, but the roasted mushrooms make this polenta recipe extra special. They are the “icing on the cake.” And it’s always a good idea to add more veggies into your diet, right?
How to Make Polenta
First of all, what is polenta? Polenta is made from coarsely ground cornmeal and is very popular in Italy. Polenta is similar to grits, but I think polenta is even better than the popular Southern dish. It can be served creamy, fried, baked, chilled and cut into squares. I really love creamy polenta, it is a special treat.
This creamy polenta is easy to make, you are going to love it!
- I start with the mushrooms. I toss the mushrooms in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a little garlic and let them roast away in the oven.
- I cook the polenta on the stove top. You can find polenta or course cornmeal at almost any grocery store. I usually have luck in the bulk bin section. They do sell instant polenta and you can use that for this recipe, just follow the instructions on the box.
- The hardest part is whisking the polenta, but a little arm workout won’t hurt you. And it really isn’t hard. You just have to whisk it every few minutes, so don’t go far. (Turn on some tunes and sing away while your mushrooms are roasting and your polenta is cooking. I won’t tell anyone if you use your whisk as a microphone:)
- This polenta is super creamy thanks to the milk, butter, and Parmesan cheese. Oh yes, it is rich and SO worth every bite.
To serve, divide the creamy polenta into bowls and top with the roasted mushrooms. Try to savor every bite, but I won’t judge if you frantically shove spoonfuls into your mouth. This polenta recipe is a winner! An all-time favorite for sure!
If you like this polenta recipe, you might also like:
- Creamy Basil Polenta with Roasted Tomatoes
- Polenta Rounds with Fried Eggs and Avocado Bean Salsa
- Baked Polenta Pie
- Grilled Polenta Rounds with Black Bean and Avocado Salsa
- Grilled Polenta Cakes
Creamy Polenta with Roasted Mushrooms
For the Roasted Mushrooms:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place mushrooms in a medium bowl and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add in garlic and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Spread mushrooms evenly onto a large greased baking sheet. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring once. Remove from the oven and stir in parsley.
- While the mushrooms are roasting, make the polenta. In a medium saucepan, combine milk, water, and salt over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. When it simmers, slowly pour in the polenta and whisk to combine. Reduce heat to low and partially cover the pan with a lid and cook, whisking vigorously every 5 minutes. Make sure you scrape the sides of the pan. Cook until liquid is absorbed and polenta is creamy, about 30 minutes total. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and Parmesan cheese.
- Divide the polenta into four bowls. Top with roasted mushrooms and garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod