Do you have a sugar hangover from Valentine’s Day? I feel like I’ve been hit by the sugar train. I don’t know if it was the Cannoli Stuffed French Toast, the Chocolate Turtle Cookies, or all of the desserts we ate at Deer Valley. I need a sugar break, at least for a few hours:)
This Creamy Tomato Orzo Soup is just what the doctor ordered. Especially since I am still thawing out from our ski trip. I need a warm bowl of Creamy Tomato Orzo Soup! And don’t worry, we will post about our Deer Valley trip soon. We had a ton of fun!
This is hands down my new favorite soup. Josh is probably sick of me talking about it. I just can’t believe how good it is. I usually don’t toot my own horn, but I had to with this soup. It is too good to not talk about. I feel bad that I have been missing it all of my life. I am going to have to make up for lost time by making it every week.
I love this Creamy Tomato Orzo Soup for many reasons. It is easy to make, and when I say easy, I mean EASY! You can have this soup on your table in less than 30 minutes. No joke!
It is also good for you. Usually, when you see the word creamy, it doesn’t mean healthy. I promise I am not lying. The creamy part of this soup comes from Greek yogurt. There is no heavy cream involved at all. I stirred in plain Greek yogurt to create a creamy texture. It is CHO good!
I also added in orzo pasta to bulk the soup up. And good tomato soup has to have fresh basil, it’s a must! I love everything about this soup. It is creamy, satisfying, and warms the soul!
Creamy Tomato Orzo Soup is my new favorite soup. Have I told you that yet? 🙂 Ok, I will stop talking about it, as long as you promise me you will make it. Go now! And tell all of your friends:)
Creamy Tomato Orzo Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-15 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1-15 ounce can vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cooked Orzo pasta we use whole wheat orzo
- 1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bay leaves.
- 2. Add the tomatoes and vegetable broth. Stir in the brown sugar and fresh basil. Season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper, to taste. Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- 3. Remove the bay leaves from the pot. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup (or blend the soup in a standing blender and return to the pot). Stir in the Greek yogurt until well combined. Stir in the orzo pasta. Serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
This soup is delicious! A family favorite!
My Favorite tomato soup!
Can you just use crushed tomato rather than diced?
Can this soup be frozen.
This was delicious!
I didn’t use bay leaves or pepper flakes (because we don’t like it too spicy) and it was fabulous!
A definite keeper in my recipe file!
See More Comments