Cucumber Noodles with Peanut Sauce-this gluten-free noodle dish is light, fresh, and healthy!
I kind of over indulged when we went to Disneyland. That tends to happen when we travel. I try to eat healthy when I can, but I also like to try new foods and splurge a little. Vacation isn’t vacation without a few treats here and there.
Last week it was back to reality…laundry, dishes, and my normal healthy eating and exercise plan. I may have snuck in a cookie or two, but it is all about balance:) I did create a killer healthy recipe for lunch one day, Cucumber Noodles with Peanut Sauce. Gluten-free, vegan, and oh so tasty! I am seriously in love with this recipe!
We make zucchini noodles all the time. They are a favorite at our house. I decided to mix things up a bit by making cucumber noodles. I used a mandoline to make the noodles. It is super easy. If you don’t have a mandoline, you can use a julienne peeler or spiralizer. I used seedless cucumbers so I didn’t have to mess with the seeds. I also left the peel on because the peel doesn’t bother me. You can peel the cucumbers before turning them into noodles if you don’t care for the peel. The noodles came out perfectly!
Josh wasn’t home during lunch time, so don’t worry, I didn’t try to kill him with the peanut sauce. It was just me and Caleb…and thankfully Caleb has no food allergies so I busted out the peanut butter to make a peanut sauce to go with my cucumber noodles.
I tossed the cucumber noodles and peanut sauce together. I garnished my noodle dish with crushed peanuts and freshly chopped cilantro. I sat down with a tall glass of water and enjoyed my healthy lunch in silence. Just kidding, my lunch was far from silent. Caleb was singing the Itsy Bitsy Spider and running around the kitchen in circles. At least I had good entertainment to go with my delicious lunch:)
Looking for a light and healthy recipe? Make Cucumber Noodles with Peanut Sauce! This noodle dish is so fresh and clean! It is a great recipe for spring, summer, and post vacation indulging:)
Cucumber Noodles with Peanut Sauce
For the Peanut Sauce:
- 2/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 ½ tablespoons gluten-free Tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons agave or honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- Dash of red pepper flakes to taste
- ⅓ cup warm water
For the Cucumber Noodles:
- 2 large seedless cucumbers
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- ⅓ cup chopped peanuts for garnish
- First, make the peanut sauce. In a large bowl, combine peanut butter, rice vinegar, Tamari, sesame oil, agave, and lime juice. Whisk until smooth. Stir in garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Whisk in the warm water until sauce is smooth.
- Next, make the cucumber noodles. Adjust the julienne blade on a mandoline to the ⅛-inch-thick setting. Carefully run a cucumber down the blade, slicing the cucumber to form noodles. Continue with the other cucumber. If you don't have a mandoline you can use a julienne peeler to make the noodles or a spiralizer.
- Place cucumber noodles on a plate or in a bowl. Drizzle with peanut sauce and toss gently. Top with cilantro and peanuts. Serve and enjoy!
- Note-for gluten-free make sure you use Tamari and for vegan make sure you use agave. You can substitute soy sauce for the Tamari and honey for the agave if you don't need the recipe to be gluten-free or vegan. We also had leftover peanut sauce!
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod