If you read my roasted plum post, you know we have a plum tree that is flourishing. I love biting into a soft, succulent, freshly picked plum. It brings me great joy. I also love transforming our plums into delectable desserts. I made this double-crusted plum crisp and it was a perfect way to use up some of our plums.
If you are the type of person who loves more crisp topping than fruit, this is the crisp for you. There is a bottom crisp layer and a top layer. Don’t worry, there are plenty of plums involved, they are just sandwiched between a cinnamon, buttery, oat mixture. The juicy plums bubble up through the top crisp layer while baking. I had a hard time letting the crisp cool before serving. It smelled wonderful.
I cut the crisp into squares and served each piece with a hearty scoop of vanilla ice cream. The ice cream melted into the sweet oat crisp and was the perfect balance to the tart plums. This rustic fruit dessert is going to make multiple appearances at our house every summer. Once again, we found a new reason to love our plum tree.
Double-Crusted Plum Crisp
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 by 8 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- 2. To make the crisp, mix the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt together in a medium bowl. Stir in the melted butter and mix until mixture is moist. Press half of the crisp topping into the prepared baking dish.
- 3. For the plum filling, put the plums, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir until plums are well coated.
- 4. Spread the plums evenly over the bottom layer of the crisp. Sprinkle the remaining crisp over the plums. Gently pat the crisp topping down.
- 5. Bake in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes, or until the crisp is golden and the fruit is bubbling. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
- *Note-this crisp is even better served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this plum crisp, you might also like: