Minestrone Soup is a classic Italian soup that is hearty, healthy, and perfect for lunch or dinner on a cold day. This easy homemade minestrone is a family favorite. Serve the soup with crusty bread and Parmesan Cheese.
Classic Minestrone Soup
Today, we are sharing a recipe for Easy Minestrone Soup. I am excited to share this easy, healthy, and comforting minestrone soup recipe because it is one of my favorite winter time meals. I could eat it every single day. This classic soup is always a favorite meal at our house. It is the perfect soup for a cold day or any day! You can’t go wrong with this classic soup recipe.
How To Make Minestrone Soup
- Minestrone is an Italian soup that usually includes vegetables, pasta, beans, and sometimes meat. I omitted the meat because I wanted the soup to be vegetarian and honestly, I don’t think it needs it. The soup is super hearty because all of the vegetables, beans, and pasta.
- Minestrone soup is very versatile. You can add whatever vegetables, beans, and pasta you like. I included carrots, celery, zucchini, tomatoes, and green beans. This is a great soup to make when you need to clean out the vegetable drawer. You could also add in bell peppers, yellow squash, peas, spinach, or kale.
- I used cannellini beans, which are a white bean. I use canned beans to keep the recipe super simple. You can use great Northern beans or red kidney beans too.
- I chose whole wheat macaroni for the pasta, but any small pasta will work well in this soup.
- If you want the soup to be vegan, omit the Parmesan cheese and if you need the soup to be gluten free, you can use gluten-free pasta, rice, or quinoa.
I always make a big pot of this easy minestrone soup because it reheats well and we love eating the leftovers. I could eat it for lunch and dinner all week long, and I usually do. It is a great recipe to have on hand durning the cold winter months.
Garnish a steaming bowl of minestrone soup with parmesan cheese and serve with a slice of crusty bread. This easy soup will warm you up and fill you up and it is much better than Olive Garden’s Minestrone Soup:) Enjoy!
If you like this Minestrone Soup Recipe, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Pasta Fagioli
- Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
- Chickpea Farro Soup
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 40 minutes
- Total Time
- 55 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green beans
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup whole wheat elbow macaroni can use gluten-free pasta
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese-optional for garnish
Heat olive oil in a large stockpot. Add onion, garlic, carrot, and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add in zucchini, green beans, and diced tomatoes. Stir in vegetable broth, beans, pasta, basil, oregano, and thyme. Simmer until vegetables and macaroni are tender, about 35 minutes.
Season soup with salt and pepper and serve warm. Garnish with parmesan cheese, if desired.