Classic bruschetta recipe with tomatoes, basil, and olive oil on toasted bread. This easy appetizer is always a favorite way to begin any meal!
A Summer Favorite
Bruschetta is one of my favorite appetizers or snacks, especially during the summer when tomatoes and basil are in season. We always plant a ton of tomatoes and basil in our garden and are looking for ways to use them up.
You can’t go wrong with classic tomato bruschetta. It is the perfect starter for any meal and just about anyone can get behind toasted bread topped with garlic, tomatoes, olive oil, and fresh basil.
Another reason I love bruschetta, it is super simple to make. If you have a few minutes, you can make bruschetta. If you ever need an easy, last minute appetizer, bruschetta should be your go to! You only need a few ingredients.
The key to making the best bruschetta is making sure you use the best ingredients. Since there are only a few ingredients involved, the very best make a huge difference.
The Best Bread
First, start with a fresh baguette. A French baguette is the perfect size if you are serving the bruschetta as an appetizer. You can buy a baguette at almost any grocery store. You can have the bakery slice your baguette if you want to save time or you can easily slice it at home with a sharp bread knife. You want the bread to be about 1/2-inch thick.
If you aren’t serving the bruschetta as an appetizer and want a heartier portion, you can use Italian or French bread, the slices will be bigger.
You want to toast the bread before adding on the toppings. You can toast the bread slices in the oven or you can grill the slices on a grill or grill pan inside.
Use the Best Tomatoes
Tomatoes are the star of the recipe so make sure you use the very best! Pick ripe tomatoes that are juicy and at their peak. Bruschetta is best during the summer when tomatoes are in season and have the best flavor.
You can use Roma tomatoes, garden tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, or grape tomatoes, just make sure they are ripe and ready to be eaten! Don’t refrigerate the tomatoes or they will lose their flavor. Store the tomatoes on the counter.
Chop the tomatoes and place them in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and add freshly chopped basil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. For the best flavor, let the tomatoes hangout in the bowl before serving so the flavors can intensify.
How to Make
Making bruschetta is super simple and OH SO TASTY!
- Take a slice of the warm toasted bread and rub a clove of peeled garlic over the top. The garlic flavor will melt into the warm bread giving it the perfect garlic flavor.
- Top the crusty bread with the tomato and basil mixture.
- If you want to go all out, you can add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze. The balsamic flavor goes great with the tomatoes and basil. Serve immediately.
If you are serving bruschetta for a party, you can top all of the baguette slices with the tomato basil topping and serve on a platter or you can put the tomato basil topping in a bowl and surround it with the bread slices so people can make their own bruschetta. Both ways are perfectly acceptable for parties!
Bruschetta really goes well with any meal, but it is a classic Italian appetizer and we love enjoying bruschetta with our favorite pasta recipes. Here are a few ideas:
- Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Baked Ziti
- Pasta Pomodoro
- Chicken Parmesan Baked Pasta
- Pasta Fagioli
- Pasta Primavera
- One Pot Sausage Pasta
- Skillet Vegetarian Lasagna
It is also great with grilled chicken, fish, vegetables, or a big salad! You really can’t go wrong! This simple Italian recipe is always a crowd pleaser!
More Tomato Recipes
This easy bruschetta recipe makes a great appetizer for any meal and is especially delicious during the summer when tomatoes and basil are in season.
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 15 minutes
- 8 ripe medium tomatoes, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 French baguette, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Olive oil, for brushing bread
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, basil, salt, and pepper. Let sit while you toast the bread.
- Place the baguette slices on a large baking sheet. You might need to use two sheets. Brush the tops of the baguette slices with olive oil. Place the baking sheets in the oven and bake until bread slices are toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and rub the garlic over the toasted bread, pressing slightly into the bread.
- Top each bread slice with tomato basil topping. Season with additional salt and black pepper and balsamic, if desired.
You can also toast the bread slices on the grill outside or on a grill pan.
easy bruschetta recipe
Photos by Molly
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.