This easy Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup is the perfect soup recipe for a cold day. It Is comforting and a guaranteed family favorite!
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup…don’t you feel comforted and content just thinking about it? There’s a reason chicken noodle soup is a go-to for people who are sick, it just makes you feel better. This version of the classic soup recipe is even better because it is super creamy. It is loaded with tender chicken, hearty noodles, and the rich broth will make you say, “Mmmmm, Mmmmm good after one bite!
I love making this as a weeknight meal for my family, and the leftovers are great for lunch the next day. It’s also perfect to bring to a new mom, a sick friend, or someone experiencing a loss. This soup and homemade rolls or biscuits is a beautiful way to show someone you care!
Oodles of Noodles
We like to use wide egg noodles for this chicken noodle soup recipe. You can find them in the pasta aisle at any grocery store. If you are feeling ambitious, you can make homemade noodles, but I am all about cheating. This is an EASY chicken noodle soup recipe.
Rotisserie Chicken for a Shortcut
I love a good shortcut and rotisserie chicken is the secret shortcut to this soup recipe. Buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store, pull the chicken off, and use it for this soup. You could also cook chicken in the Instant Pot or slow cooker to use for soup or use leftover chicken.
This soup is also great with leftover turkey. We always make a pot of this soup after Thanksgiving when we have too much turkey in our fridge.
I highly recommend using fresh herbs for this soup. Fresh just taste best and bring out the best flavor. Fresh thyme can be found in the produce section at the grocery store, usually in a little container. I also add chopped fresh parsley at the end, and it finishes this Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup off perfectly! It gives the soup a flavor kick and a pop of color!
How to Make Chicken Noodle Soup
This is a pretty classic soup-making process! Nothing fancy, but SO good!
- Sauté. You’ll want to get the butter, onion, carrots, and celery cooking first. These veggies take the longest to become tender, so they get the longest time in the pot!
- Garlic. Mmm…the best way to get people to wander into your kitchen and say “It smells good! What are you making?” is to get garlic going on the stove.
- Thicken. Off to the side in a small bowl, whisk the milk (use whole milk for the creamiest results) and flour together until it’s nice and smooth before pouring it into the pot. This is to make sure you don’t get any lumps of flour! Add in chicken broth, then shredded chicken, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Noodles. We’re almost done! Bring everything to a low boil and add in the egg noodles. They need about 10 minutes here with occasional stirring, until the noodles are soft, before you add in the heavy cream, lemon juice, and parsley.
- Taste. Give it a taste test and add salt and pepper if needed. Ladle into bowl and serve it hot!
What to Serve with Chicken Noodle Soup
This soup really is a one-pot wonder! You don’t need much on the side to make it a complete meal. If you want to serve something with your hearty bowl of soup, here are a few ideas.
- Saltine crackers
- Crusty bread
- Garlic Herb Parker House Rolls
- Greek Yogurt Biscuits
- Easy Green Salad
More Soup Recipes:
There is no better way to make your home feel cozy and inviting than making a big pot of soup! Here are some of my most classic favorites:
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a large pot, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until vegetables are tender about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and flour. Pour the mixture into the soup pot and stir, making sure there are no lumps of flour. Stir in the chicken broth. Add the shredded chicken and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a low boil and stir in the egg noodles. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until noodles are soft. Stir in the heavy cream, lemon juice, and parsley. Taste and add additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Dishing Out Health
My husband loves this soup. It’s so easy to make don’t even need to look at the recipe. It can also be adjusted to how much of the ingredients you have on hand. I throw peas in at the end for color.
We make this one all of the time.
This has become my favorite soup! I added 1 cup of frozen peas and carrots and some lemon linguine broken into small pieces. All the flavors meld together to make the most flavorful comforting soup. I love this so much I make it weekly! Thank you so much for posting it!
See More Comments