Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I love spending time with family and friends and celebrating gratitude. It is refreshing to take time out of our busy schedules to recognize all of the blessings in our lives. Sure, the food is tasty and the football games are fun, but I really enjoy the thankfulness part of Thanksgiving. We all have so much to be grateful for. Today I am thankful to be part of a gluten-free Thanksgiving, organized by Shauna, author of Gluten Free Girl and the Chef. I am sharing a recipe for gluten-free apple cranberry crisp.
I was fortunate to hear Shauna speak at Blogher Food in San Francisco and was deeply moved by her story. When she invited me to participate in a blog event to help provide recipes and ideas for hosting a gluten-free Thanksgiving, I of course said yes. I’ll be honest, I was a little nervous because I have never baked anything gluten-free before, but I was up for the challenge. After doing some research, I decided to make a gluten-free apple cranberry crisp.
Apples and cranberries are abundant this time of year and compliment each other nicely. I used both fruits for the base of my crisp. For the topping, I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Oats and Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Flour. I found both products at our local grocery market, they were easy to find and worked like a dream in my crisp. The crisp is sweet, tart, and has a nice crunchy topping. Josh gave the gluten-free crisp two thumbs up! This crisp is easy to make and a great dessert for Thanksgiving.
If you are hosting a Thanksgiving meal this year, make sure you provide gluten-free options for your guests. There are numerous gluten-free salads and side dishes you can incorporate into your menu, but go out of your comfort zone and try baking a gluten-free item. I really enjoyed the challenge of baking a gluten-free dessert. I learned a lot and enjoyed trying something new. Plus, this gluten-free apple cranberry crisp is delicious. I can’t wait to try other gluten-free recipes.
For gluten-free baking tips, fabulous gluten-free recipes, beautiful photos, and an amazing story, check out Shauna and Danny’s new cookbook: Gluten-Free Girl and The Chef. If you are interested in seeing what other bloggers made for our Gluten-Free Thanksgiving, visit Shauna’s blog for the complete list. There are some VERY tasty recipes, you don’t want to miss them!
Gluten-Free Apple Cranberry Crisp
- Fruit base:
- 4 large Granny Smith apples - peeled cored, and chopped
- 1 1/4 cups cranberries fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Crisp topping:
- 1 1/4 cup Gluten-Free Oats
- 1/4 cup Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 tablespoons cold butter cut into pieces
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8 by 8 baking dish or ramekins and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix together apples, cranberries, sugar, zest, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- 3. In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, spices, brown sugar, and honey. Stir. Mix in butter with your hands, until crumbly.
- 4. Place fruit mixture in prepared baking dish or ramekins, if using. Pour crisp topping over the fruit and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until apples are tender and crisp is bubbling.
- 5. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
- *Note-if you don't need the dessert to be gluten-free you can use regular oats and flour. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
If you like this apple cranberry crisp, you might also like: