Chocolate Vegan Banana Bread – you will never know this chocolate banana bread is Gluten-Free and Vegan. It is SO rich, moist, and delicious!
This post is in partnership with Bob’s Red Mill
You guys, our original Chocolate Banana Bread is taking over the world! It is hands down the most popular recipe on our site right now. It’s going crazy on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram. Thank you to everyone who has shared your bread photos with us, left comments, and sent emails. You are obsessed with this banana bread and that makes me so so happy because it is my favorite too!
Well, we have gotten a ton of requests for a gluten-free and vegan chocolate banana bread so I put on my baking hat and came up with an EPIC Chocolate Vegan and Gluten Free Banana Bread recipe. You guys are going to love this one too!
I used my original chocolate banana bread recipe as my inspiration but made some tweaks to make it gluten-free and vegan. I don’t do a ton of gluten-free baking, so I decided to use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour as the base. I didn’t want to mess with mixing my own flours and why take the time when Bob’s Red Mill makes it super easy. You can use this flour as a direct replacement for all-purpose flour and the results are amazing! Cup4Cup gluten-free flour also works well in this recipe.
I used Dutch process cocoa in this recipe too because it is my favorite. It gives the bread such a rich and divine chocolate flavor.
You guys wanted chocolate vegan banana bread too so I mixed Bob’s Red Mill flaxseed meal with water instead of using an egg. Flaxseed meal is a great egg replacement and has Omega 3-fatty acids. Bonus!
The mashed ripe bananas and coconut oil make the chocolate vegan banana bread super moist. I used coconut sugar to sweeten the bread and loved the results.
I used vegan chocolate chips in the bread AND on top. The chocolate chips on top make the bread are extra pretty and you can’t go wrong with a double dose of chocolate.
Banana Bread Success!
To be honest, I was a little nervous about how this bread would turn out. My fingers were crossed while it was in the oven. After it cooled and I sliced into it, all of my worries went away. I could tell this bread was going to be a winner. It looked very similar to my original chocolate banana bread. It didn’t rise as much, but that didn’t affect the flavor or texture. I was sold after one bite! It is super rich, moist, and tastes like my favorite chocolate banana bread.
The bread tastes more like cake than bread…but that is not a bad thing. I topped a warm slice with vanilla Halo Top ice cream and was in dessert heaven. If you are vegan, you can use your favorite dairy-free frozen dessert.
I nailed it! You guys are going to fall in love with this chocolate vegan banana bread too!
The boys were anxiously waiting for me to finish taking pictures of the bread so they could have a taste. They had no clue it was gluten-free or vegan. They thought it was the best chocolate “cake” in the world! I also had a few of my gluten-free friends taste the bread for me and they gave it two big thumbs up.
I am telling you, this recipe is a winner! Bake up a loaf today and see for yourself:) And if you don’t need a gluten-free or vegan bread, you can try my original Chocolate Banana Bread recipe. Both are incredible!
More Banana Bread Recipes
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Best Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Buttermilk Banana Bread
Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 tablespoon Flaxseed Meal
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup Gluten-Free all-purpose baking flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large ripe bananas about 1 ½ cups mashed
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Heat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flax seed meal and water. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork. Add the melted coconut oil and stir until combined. Add in the coconut sugar, flaxseed mixture, and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, don’t overmix. Stir in ½ cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of chocolate chips over the top of the bread. Bake for 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out mostly clean, you might have some melted chocolate chips on the toothpick and that is fine. You just don’t want a lot of gooey batter on the toothpick.
- Remove the pan from the oven and set on a wire cooling rack. Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the bread and carefully remove from the pan. Let the bread cool on the wire cooling rack. Cut into slices and serve.
- Note-the bread will keep on the counter, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 4 days. This bread also freezes well. To freeze, cool the bread completely and wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost before slicing.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.