Heirloom Tomato Pesto Galette, a savory galette recipe that is perfect for summer time!
The summer is flying by and that makes me sad, but the summer produce is cheering me right up! I can’t get enough! I am currently obsessed with heirloom tomatoes. I love eating them with a little salt and pepper, but I also enjoy using them in recipes. I recently made an Heirloom Tomato Pesto Galette that screams summer. It is so full of flavor thanks to the heirloom tomatoes.
We make galettes for dessert all of the time. A few favorites include: Blueberry Almond Streusel Galette, Apple Toffee Galette, and Pear Galette. We rarely make savory galettes though. I don’t know why…oh, wait, it probably has something to do with my sweet tooth:)
I figured it was time to make a savory galette with the heirloom tomatoes I picked up at Whole Foods Market. They had a fantastic selection so I loaded up my basket.
I love heirloom tomatoes because there are so many varieties and each tomato is so unique. Look at those beauties!
Not only are they pretty, but they are delicious too! I used a few different varieties to make the galette. I wanted contrast in color and flavor.
The galette dough is simple to make and can be made in advance, just keep it in the fridge until you are ready to roll it out.
I sliced the heirloom tomatoes and placed them on a paper towel to remove some of their juices. I didn’t want the galette to get soggy. I spread the galette with our favorite Spinach Basil Pesto and placed the beautiful tomato slices on top! I baked until the galette was golden brown.
We served the galette with a simple salad for dinner. The fresh basil pesto and heirloom tomatoes were a match made in heaven. The buttery rustic galette was the perfect base too!
I don’t know why it took me so long to make a savory galette. I loved it and so did Josh and Caleb. We will be making this Heirloom Tomato Pesto Galette again!
What is your favorite way to enjoy heirloom tomatoes? Leave a comment on this post and you will be entered to win a $50 gift card to Whole Foods Market. Giveaway ends on August 14th at 11:59 p.m. MST. U.S. residents only.
Update: The gift card winner is Lisa Kirk (#149).
Heirloom Tomato Pesto Galette
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose Gold Medal flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coarse cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 large heirloom tomatoes sliced
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- 1 egg beaten
- 1. To make the dough, combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, and salt in a processor; pulse 2-3 times. Add butter and pulse 4-5 times, or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With the processor running, slowing pour the buttermilk through the chute, processing until the dough forms a ball. Remove the dough ball and adhere any remaining pieces of dough to it, then wrap in plastic wrap or parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before rolling out.
- 2. Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Remove the galette dough from the refrigerator and place on a sheet of parchment paper. Starting at the center of the dough, roll out, forming a 14-15-inch wide circle. Place the dough with parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- 3. Slice the heirloom tomatoes and place them on paper towels. Brush the galette dough with pesto. Place the tomato slices on top of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold the dough border over the tomatoes, overlapping where necessary and pressing gently to adhere the folds. Lightly brush the edge of the dough with the beaten egg.
- 4. Bake the galette for 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool to room temperature before slicing. Slice and serve.
- *Note-you can make the galette dough in advance. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days. You can use store-bought pesto if you are in a pinch, but we like to use our Spinach Basil Pesto. And any heirloom tomatoes will work for this recipe!
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this Heirloom Tomato Pesto Galette, you might also like:
- Tomato, Peach, and Burrata Salad from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Heirloom Tomato and Lemon Mascarpone Tart from Whole Foods Market
- Heirloom Tomato Salad from Skinnytaste
- Savory Corn Tart with Heirloom Tomatoes from Whole Foods Market
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Whole Foods Market but our opinions are our own.
I love them either in a BLT or just sliced with cottage cheese of which garlic chives have been added. My favorite summer meal!
Beautiful! I love a classic caprese salad.
My favorite way is to cut them up with red onion, cucumbers and green pepper strips. Then pour some oil, vinegar and garlic over them. Yum.
I love heirloom tomatoes sliced, sprinkled with salt and pepper and layered on a piece of crusty bread with a little brown mustard.
Homemade pizzas on the grill!
I love them the same ways you do- with some salt or in galette! They just scream summer. Hope to try this recipe before the end of the season, looks delicious!
Anything with heirloom tomatoes and I am all over it. Looks gorgeous Maria!
I love eating heirloom tomato and mozzarella with my fresh basil!
Love them simple sliced thin and sprinkled with sea salt.
That looks amazing. My absolute favorite way to eat an amazing tomato is sliced thick, and put on a bagel with vegan cream cheese. SO good. Sooooo good, that apparently I will now be running out for bagels in the morning. 🙂
All they need is a little salt and a piece of basil…although mozzarella helps too!
I love makling a grilled fresh pizza!
Roasted in all their glory and on top of polenta!
Looks absolutely delicious!
Fresh with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
Galettes are my new favorite thing. For another delicious savory one, try a zucchini and ricotta galette!
Gotta do it.
I fell in love with heirloom tomatoes several years ago, especially with Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Brandywine, Aunt Ruby’s German Green . . . too many favorites. I especially adore them in panini with really good bacon and cheese (sometimes a fried egg) and in roasted tomato, basil and mozzarella pie. Can’t wait to try this galette!
I love to make a fresh tomato sauce with heirloom tomatoes.
You had me at coarse cornmeal. I love, love, love galette dough with cornmeal. I make a fresh cherry tomato galette with a ricotta/mozzrella schmer and use a cornmeal dough. It is so yummy. I will have to try this one as I love heirloom tomatoes.Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Just the way you said it… sliced up with a little bit of salt and pepper! So refreshing.
Yum! This looks incredible!
This is so pretty I [almost] wouldn’t want to eat it!
Heirloom tomatoes on a baguette are delectable.
A good ol’ heirloom tomato sandwich – toasted wheat with tomatoes, salt, and pepper!
Balsamic vin., salt, and a little feta and basil.
Love the savory flavor of this dish. Recommend highly!
See More Comments