Honey BBQ Chicken Wings-these easy baked chicken wings with honey BBQ sauce are the perfect appetizer for game day or any party! They are a real crowd pleaser, you will never know they are baked and not fried.
Baked Chicken Wings
Chicken wings are a favorite appetizer at restaurants, but you can make them at home! They are the perfect game day food and our boys also love them for dinner. They never complain when chicken wings are on the menu. Their favorite chicken wings are Josh’s Honey BBQ Chicken Wings. The wings aren’t spicy, making this the perfect chicken wing recipe for kids and adults. They are a real crowd pleaser!
How to Make Baked Chicken Wings
The best part about these chicken wings? They are baked and not fried and still DELICIOUS! Baked chicken wings are so much easier to make and healthier too! A win-win! Here are some tips for making perfect chicken wings every time!
- Use fresh chicken wings, not frozen. Josh likes a mixture of wings and drumettes. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel before starting the recipe.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and an oven-safe wire rack. Baking the wings on a rack will help them get extra crispy. If you don’t have a rack, you can use parchment paper, but we recommend the rack method.
- Make a dry rub with salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. The dry rub will give the chicken wings lots of flavor while they bake in the oven.
- Coat the chicken wings with the dry rub and place on the wire rack, making sure you leave room between each wing. You don’t want them touching. If you need to use two baking sheets, you can.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 35 to 45 minutes, flipping halfway through to allow even crispiness.
- While the chicken wings are baking, make the honey BBQ sauce. In a large bowl, combine your favorite traditional BBQ sauce with honey and fresh lime juice. You can use homemade BBQ sauce, but store bought is fine too.
- When the chicken wings are done baking, let them cool for about 10 minutes. If you coat the wings in the BBQ sauce immediately after they come out of the oven, the sauce will drip off and not stick as well.
- After 10 minutes, toss the baked chicken wings in the honey BBQ sauce until all of the wings are well coated.
- Turn the oven to broil and put the wings back on the baking sheet with the wire rack. Broil for about 2 minutes until the sauce is caramelized. Don’t walk away, this will only take a couple of minutes.
How to Serve Honey BBQ Baked Chicken Wings
Serve the chicken wings warm with wet wipes or napkins on the side, ha! Your fingers will get messy, but that is all part of the fun.
You can serve carrot sticks and celery sticks on the side, a common side for chicken wings. I am always up for adding vegetables to my boys meals:) The wings are plenty saucy, but if you want to dip them in extra BBQ sauce, you can!
Make Honey BBQ Baked Chicken Wings for the next big game! They are sure to be a touchdown, slam dunk, home run, or hole in one…you get the idea:)
More Game Day Recipes:
Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
Baked Chicken Wings are the perfect game day food and they are easy to make at home!
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 40 minutes
- Total Time
- 50 minutes
For the wings:
- 4 lbs. chicken wings patted dry
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the BBQ sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups traditional BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and set a heat-proof wire rack inside.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Rub the seasonings evenly onto the chicken wings and arrange them on the wire rack, skin side up, making sure the wings aren’t touching. You might have to use two pans, depending on the size of your wings.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until chicken wings are cooked through and light golden brown.
- While the wings are in the oven, combine the BBQ sauce, honey, and lime juice in a large bowl. Stir until well combined.
baked chicken wings, chicken wings