Honey BBQ Chicken Wings-these easy baked chicken wings with honey BBQ sauce are the perfect appetizer for game day or any party! They are a real crowd pleaser, you will never know they are baked and not fried.
Baked Chicken Wings
Chicken wings are a favorite appetizer at restaurants, but you can make them at home! They are the perfect game day food and our boys also love them for dinner. They never complain when chicken wings are on the menu. Their favorite chicken wings are Josh’s Honey BBQ Chicken Wings. The wings aren’t spicy, making this the perfect chicken wing recipe for kids and adults. They are a real crowd pleaser!
How to Make Baked Chicken Wings
The best part about these chicken wings? They are baked and not fried and still DELICIOUS! Baked chicken wings are so much easier to make and healthier too! A win-win! Here are some tips for making perfect chicken wings every time!
- Use fresh chicken wings, not frozen. Josh likes a mixture of wings and drumettes. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel before starting the recipe.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and an oven-safe wire rack. Baking the wings on a rack will help them get extra crispy. If you don’t have a rack, you can use parchment paper, but we recommend the rack method.
- Make a dry rub with salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. The dry rub will give the chicken wings lots of flavor while they bake in the oven.
- Coat the chicken wings with the dry rub and place on the wire rack, making sure you leave room between each wing. You don’t want them touching. If you need to use two baking sheets, you can.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 35 to 45 minutes, flipping halfway through to allow even crispiness.
- While the chicken wings are baking, make the honey BBQ sauce. In a large bowl, combine your favorite traditional BBQ sauce with honey and fresh lime juice. You can use homemade BBQ sauce, but store bought is fine too.
- When the chicken wings are done baking, let them cool for about 10 minutes. If you coat the wings in the BBQ sauce immediately after they come out of the oven, the sauce will drip off and not stick as well.
- After 10 minutes, toss the baked chicken wings in the honey BBQ sauce until all of the wings are well coated.
- Turn the oven to broil and put the wings back on the baking sheet with the wire rack. Broil for about 2 minutes until the sauce is caramelized. Don’t walk away, this will only take a couple of minutes.
How to Serve Honey BBQ Baked Chicken Wings
Serve the chicken wings warm with wet wipes or napkins on the side, ha! Your fingers will get messy, but that is all part of the fun.
You can serve carrot sticks and celery sticks on the side, a common side for chicken wings. I am always up for adding vegetables to my boys meals:) The wings are plenty saucy, but if you want to dip them in extra BBQ sauce, you can!
Make Honey BBQ Baked Chicken Wings for the next big game! They are sure to be a touchdown, slam dunk, home run, or hole in one…you get the idea:)
More Game Day Recipes:
Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
For the wings:
- 4 lbs. chicken wings patted dry
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the BBQ sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups traditional BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and set a heat-proof wire rack inside.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Rub the seasonings evenly onto the chicken wings and arrange them on the wire rack, skin side up, making sure the wings aren’t touching. You might have to use two pans, depending on the size of your wings.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until chicken wings are cooked through and light golden brown.
- While the wings are in the oven, combine the BBQ sauce, honey, and lime juice in a large bowl. Stir until well combined.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
I’m a huge wing fan! This look super yummy! I will have to try these!
I’ll take mine extra saucy!
What type/brand of BBQ sauce do you use?
You can use your favorite. We go with a traditional sauce.
YUMmmmmmmm! Can’t wait to try these!
Made these tonight instead of going to Buffalo Wild Wings, they were delicious, the rub was a nice touch!! Also, very easy to make, will definitely make again!
These gamers were specifically beneficial to the city as they were
often populating games at greater buy INS when the truth is were improbable to earnings
even in the littlest games.
Not happy about the rub…wings came out gorgeous but the rub omg it just didn’t do well for me. I will make this recipe again but I will season the meat first with just salt, pepper, and garlic to taste and continue with rest of recipe. The wings camelization was the best!!!
Big fan of the wings lots of sauce love your recipe will try thanks