These easy Baked Chicken Taquitos are stuffed with chicken and cheese and make a great appetizer or meal. These homemade taquitos are a family favorite! Plus, learn how to make taquitos you can freeze for later!
Baked Chicken TAQUITOS!
Our boys love yelling TAQUITOS! It is a fun word to say so I don’t blame them. Plus, they love eating homemade taquitos so every time we make them, they get super excited. And I don’t mind making them because they are actually fun to make. Sometimes, I even sing a little song when I make them…”Rolling, rolling, rolling, get those taquitos rolling!” I don’t whistle while I work, I sing while I cook:)
How to Make Taquitos
Taquitos are basically rolled up tacos, stuffed with your choice of meat and cheese, and then fried crisp. To keep these taquitos on the healthier side, we bake them in the oven. Don’t worry, you won’t miss the frying, they still get nice and crispy in the oven.
Taquitos are usually made with corn tortillas and flautas are usually made with flour tortillas. We love using corn tortillas for these taquitos. They are gluten-free and so delicious!
We start with corn tortillas, add shredded chicken and cheese, and roll them up. When the taquitos are done baking, we top them with all the toppings…shredded cheese, lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, cilantro, pico de gallo, and queso fresco. We also serve them with salsa for dipping. The boys love dipping their taquitos, it is all part of the fun!
These chicken taquitos can be served as an appetizer or as a meal, it just depends on how many you eat.:) They are perfect for parties because you can make them in advance and put out all of the toppings for your guest to enjoy. We are going to make them for Cinco de Mayo, which is right around the corner. I can’t wait!
A Few Baked Chicken Taquitos Tips:
- We like to use rotisserie chicken for this recipe to keep it easy peasy. This is also a great recipe for using up leftover chicken. Just shred it and you will be ready to go!
- Before you roll up the taquitos, place the corn tortillas in between damp paper towels and heat them up in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. This will make them easier to roll and keep them from tearing.
- The taquitos can be made in advance. You can reheat them in the microwave or the whole pan in the oven after they have been baked.
- You can even freeze the taquitos before you bake them. Place the taquitos on a baking sheet and freeze. When frozen, place taquitos in a freezer bag and freeze for up to one month. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and place frozen taquitos on a large baking sheet. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Are you guys ready to make some TAQUITOS? Come on, yell it with us! It’s TAQUITOS time:) Enjoy!
If you like these Baked Chicken Taquitos, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde
- Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde
- Grilled Steak Tacos
- Mexican Rice
- Cilantro Lime Rice
Baked Chicken Taquitos
For the Taquitos:
- 2 cups shredded chicken we use rotisserie chicken
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 20 corn tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the shredded chicken with the cumin, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, paprika, and fresh lime juice. Stir until chicken is well coated with the seasonings. Stir in the shredded cheese.
- Get two paper towels damp and place two tortillas at a time in between the paper towels. Place in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and roll up the taquitos.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of the chicken and cheese mixture in the center of the tortilla and roll it up tightly. Place the tacquito, seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Continue rolling taquitos until the tortillas and filling are gone. You should have about 20 taquitos.
- Spray the taquitos generously with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until taquitos are golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and serve warm with desired toppings.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod