These easy Baked Chicken Taquitos are stuffed with chicken and cheese and make a great appetizer or meal. These homemade taquitos are a family favorite! Plus, learn how to make taquitos you can freeze for later!
We make Chicken Taquitos ALL of the time. Taquitos are one of those recipes that we make over and over again. They are great for an easy weeknight meal, game day, or entertaining.
Taquitos are basically rolled up tacos, stuffed with your choice of meat and cheese, and then traditionally fried until crispy.
To keep these taquitos on the healthier side, we bake them in the oven. Don’t worry, you won’t miss the frying, they still get nice and crispy in the oven.
Taquitos are usually made with corn tortillas and flautas are usually made with flour tortillas. We love using corn tortillas for these taquitos. They are gluten-free and so delicious!
You can serve taquitos as an appetizer or as a meal, it just depends on how many you eat.:) They are perfect for parties because you can make them in advance and put out all of the toppings for your guest to enjoy.
If you are looking for a vegetarian taquito recipe, make sure you check out our Black Bean Cheese Taquitos, they are really good too!
The ingredient list is simple!
- Shredded chicken– we use rotisserie chicken to keep things super easy, but you can use leftover shredded chicken.
- Spices: cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and paprika
- Fresh lime juice– just a little to brighten things up!
- Shredded cheese- you can use cheddar, Mexican blend cheese, Monterey jack, or even pepper jack if you want a little kick.
- Corn tortillas– look for the freshest tortillas you can find.
How to Make Taquitos
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. You want the oven nice and HOT so the taquitos will crispy up. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the shredded chicken with the spices and fresh lime juice. Stir until chicken is well coated with the seasonings. Stir in the shredded cheese.
- Pro tip, to prevent the tortillas from tearing, heat them up in the microwave. Get two paper towels damp and place two tortillas at a time in between the paper towels. Place in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and roll up the taquitos.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of the chicken and cheese mixture in the center of the tortilla and roll it up tightly. Place the taquito, seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Continue rolling taquitos until the tortillas and filling are gone. You should have about 20 taquitos. If the tortillas tear a little, it is ok.
- Spray the taquitos generously with oil. Bake until taquitos are golden brown and crispy.
We love adding lots of fun toppings!
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Pico de gallo or Salsa
- Queso Fresco
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Jalapeño slices
- Sliced green onion
These side dishes go great with taquitos!
How to Store
- Leftover taquitos will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, place them on a baking sheet and spray with cooking oil. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 15 minutes or until they are warm and crispy. You can also reheat in an air fryer.
- You can freeze the taquitos before you bake them. Place the taquitos on a baking sheet and freeze. When frozen, place taquitos in a freezer bag and freeze for up to one month. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and place frozen taquitos on a large baking sheet. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
For the Taquitos:
- 2 cups shredded chicken, we use rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 20 corn tortillas
For the Toppings:
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Green Onion
- Crumbled Queso Fresco
- Pico de Gallo
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the shredded chicken with the cumin, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, paprika, and fresh lime juice. Stir until chicken is well coated with the seasonings. Stir in the shredded cheese.
- Get two paper towels damp and place two tortillas at a time in between the paper towels. Place in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and roll up the taquitos.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of the chicken and cheese mixture in the center of the tortilla and roll it up tightly. Place the taquito, seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Continue rolling taquitos until the tortillas and filling are gone. You should have about 20 taquitos.
- Spray the taquitos generously with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until taquitos are golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and serve warm with desired toppings.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
This recipe is fabulous! Super easy and a new family favorite!
This is my favorite recipe I found on Pinterest! Everyone loves it ! Thank you for sharing!
Glad you loved the taquitos!
This is a favorite go-to recipe. I make extra and freeze them for easy lunches.
SO good, simple, and fun!!! Always a hit for whoever I make them for. And they reheat great too (I pop them in the air fryer for a few minutes) Definitely a great recipe to keep! 🙂
This recipe is great- it’s super easy and I come back to it frequently for weeknight meals. I’m a recipe tweaker, but this one is perfect as-is. I never get around to freezing any because my husband will eat them leftover until they’re gone!
I’m making this today but I have trouble rolling the tortillas. I’m following directions but not sure why the tortillas are breaking. The only thing I’m doing different is I’m using gluten free tortillas. Any thoughts why my tortillas are breaking. Thanks
It is probably the tortillas you are using. Did you try microwaving them a little so they are slightly warm? That helps. Also, the fresher the tortillas, the better. If they are dry, they are more likely to crack.
The Best! Easy to make….
Made them for Superbowl..
Was a big hit…
Thank You for sharing..
Why size toriilla’s?
Can I put some of the other ingredients inside?
Hi! I think we may know each other! You don’t usually want to cook these toppings. In fact, if left on the taquitos for too long, they will get soggy. 🙁
These were absolutely delicious. I used flour tortillas instead of corn. I only got a dozen from the recipe. Maybe filled too much, but was worth it!
Can I freeze these after they are baked.
They came out great!!!!
Yes, they freeze well. Glad you enjoyed them!
These are fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for these tasty & Delicious recipes.
If Someone Want to experience Indian food. Visit Best Indian Restaurants
See discount codes applicable to online stores here https://www.couponxoo.com/midas-buy-pubg-redeem-code
I used this recipe as a guide to making beef taquitos and flautas. YUM!!! My father now expects them to be a regular menu item.
I made these for my husband and me for lunch to use up some leftover chicken. 2 out of 3 of my (fairly picky!) kids ate them and loved them, too! Huge win. The adults enjoyed them, too, and we will definitely be having these for an easy dinner or lunch again. Thanks!
These are amazing! My picky eater devoured them and my family is already asking when I’m making them again.
Glad your family loved them!
These look perfect for my granddaughters! yum.
You mentioned Josh likes to add “tamed jalapeños”. Maybe that was a chili recipe?, anyway, how does he “tame” them? We’ll be watching the Olympics all weekend, USA
Flavor was ok, but definitely did NOT look like yours. The corn torts were very difficult to use.
What size tortilla is used for this recipe?
Made these for dinner tonight for my family. We were celebrating Cinco De Mayo & remembering a loved ones birthday who is celebrating their birthday in heaven.
My family loved these and I will be making these again.
These taquitos have become a family favorite! I have made them many times, always a hit. Thank you for this recipe.
Simple yet tasty recipe – this one was a hit and one I am sure to use for parties or whenever the craving for delicious taquitos hits!
Have you ever tried making in the air fryer?
You can make them in the air fryer. They won’t all fit, so do them in batches.
Easy and delicious! Thank you for sharing
I made these today. I did half the recipe and used street sized corn tortillas. Unfortunately, we thought they were very bland so although I like the recipe overall, next time I’ll add more seasoning.
I think the recipe itself is very good and I thank you for it. This was my umpteenth attempt to make taquitos and your recipe turned out closer than any other to the taste I’m trying to get. A couple of the tortillas split but that’s not a big deal.
The recipe is definitely a keeper!
See More Comments