Best Bean Dip-this easy, cheesy refried bean dip is always a party favorite! Serve warm with tortilla chips and your friends and family will be begging for this hot bean dip recipe!
Best Bean Dip
I am always up for a good dip. I love 7 Layer Dip, Caramelized Onion Dip, Avocado Ranch Dip, Easy Black Bean Dip, and Queso Dip…just to name a few. One of my very favorites, at the top of the dip list, is this Bean Dip. It is the ultimate bean dip recipe, made with refried beans, plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream), salsa, green chiles, lots of cheese, and taco spices. It is served warmed so the cheese is melty and OH SO GOOD!
This bean dip recipe is the perfect appetizer for game day, Cinco de Mayo, or any party! Everyone loves dipping into this cheesy, hot bean dip!
Bean Dip Ingredients
The ingredients for this bean dip are simple and I bet you have all of them (or most of them) in your kitchen right now!
- Refried beans-I use vegetarian refried beans, but you can use your favorite brand.
- Plain Greek yogurt-You can use plain Greek yogurt or sour cream. I like to use Greek yogurt for extra protein and we always have it in our fridge. This makes the dip super creamy!
- Green chiles-Stir in a can of diced green chiles for extra flavor.
- Salsa-You can use mild, medium, or hot salsa, depending on how spicy you want the bean dip to be. You can use store bought salsa or homemade salsa.
- Spices-To spice up the bean dip, you will need chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. All spices you should have in your pantry!
- Shredded cheese-I use cheddar cheese or a Mexican blend cheese. If you want a little kick, you could add some Pepper Jack cheese.
- Cream Cheese? A lot of bean dips call for cream cheese, but I don’t add cream cheese to my bean dip because I don’t think it needs it. It is perfectly creamy without cream cheese, but if you really want to add it in, go for it:)
How to Make Bean Dip
This bean dip only takes 5 minutes to make and then the oven does the rest of the work.
- To make the bean dip, in a large bowl, combine the refried beans, Greek yogurt, green chiles, salsa, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Spread the bean mixture into an 8×8-inch or 2-quart baking dish. Top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from the oven.
- Now for the fun part, adding on the toppings. I like to use avocado slices, cilantro, halved grape tomatoes, jalapeño slices, green onion, and queso fresco. Feel free to add your favorite toppings, black olives and radish slices are also good!
- Serve warm with tortilla chips! You can also serve with sliced bell peppers, carrots, celery, Fritos, or crackers.
How to Store Bean Dip
Place the cooked bean dip in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. You can reheat in the microwave or in the oven.
If you want to make the bean dip in advance, you can prepare it and put it in the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake.
Can I Make Bean Dip in the Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can make this bean dip in the slow cooker. Stir together all of the ingredients, except for the shredded cheese that goes on top, in the slow cooker. Add the shredded cheese on top and cook on low for 2 to 3 hours or until beans are warm and cheese is melted. Add desired toppings and serve!
What to Serve With Bean Dip
Bean dip is a great appetizer for any party or meal! We especially love it with any and all Mexican foods. A few of our favorite Mexican recipes include:
- Shrimp Fajitas or Chicken Fajitas
- Steak Tacos or Roasted Chickpea Cauliflower Tacos or Chicken Tacos
- Mexican Rice or Cilantro Lime Rice
- Skillet Vegetarian Enchiladas
- Pico de Gallo
Make it a full on Mexican feast with Bean Dip and all of your Mexican favorites! This creamy, cheesy bean dip is easy to make and easy to eat! ENJOY!!
Best Bean Dip
This cheesy refried bean dip is always a party favorite and it’s so easy to make! Serve warm with tortilla chips and your friends and family will be begging for this hot bean dip recipe!
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Total Time
- 25 minutes
- 16 oz refried beans, canned
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 4 oz can diced mild green chiles, drained
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese, divided
- Toppings: sliced green onion, chopped cilantro, chopped avocado, sliced jalapeños, chopped grape tomatoes, queso fresco
- Tortilla chips, for serving
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the refried beans, Greek yogurt, green chiles, salsa, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
Spread the bean mixture into an 8×8-inch or 2-quart baking dish. Top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from the oven.
Top the bean dip with sliced green onion, cilantro, avocado, jalapeños, chopped tomatoes, and queso fresco. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
bean dip, refried bean dip
Photos by Dishing Out Health