Soft and tender Orange Almond Scones drizzled with a sweet orange glaze and chopped almonds. These scones are great for breakfast, brunch, or tea time.
I loved creating new cookie recipes for our cookbook, Cookie Cravings. The only hard part was not being able to post the recipes on the blog right away. I can’t wait to share my latest cookie creations with you! I will give you a little hint about one of the new cookie recipes in the book-the cookies inspired me to make these Orange Almond Scones. I loved the cookies so much I had to create a scone based on the same flavors. There is your hint, sorry for the suspense! 🙂 These Orange Almond Scones are delightful and make a great breakfast treat.
I have really been enjoying citrus season. Our fridge and counters are overflowing with lemons, grapefruit, and oranges. I put a few oranges to good use to make these Orange Almond Scones. The scones have orange zest and juice in the dough, plus they get an orange glaze drizzle after baking that really brings out the citrus flavor. The almond extract and chopped up almonds add a nice almond kick, plus I love the crunch the almonds add to the tender buttermilk scones.
I made four jumbo scones, but you can make six smaller scones if you wish. I figured if I was going to eat a scone, I was going to EAT a scone:) I also shared with our friends, Josh couldn’t help me out because he has that darn nut allergy. I knew if I would have left these scones on the counter I would have devoured them in a day. They are divine!
Grab a hot cup of tea or coffee and enjoy an Orange Almond Scone. They are guaranteed to make your day better!
Orange Almond Scones
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 25 minutes
- 4 large scones or 6 small scones
For the scones:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- Turbinado sugar for sprinkling over scones
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Chopped almonds for sprinkling over glaze, if desired
- Preheat to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, rub the sugar and orange zest together until fragrant. Add sugar mixture to the flour mixture and whisk again. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal, using your fingers, two forks, or a pastry blender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, orange juice, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture all at once, stirring enough to make a soft dough. Fold in the almonds.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until dough comes together. Pat dough out into a 12-inch circle. Cut into 4 large or 6 small triangles. Place on prepared baking sheet and brush scone tops with remaining buttermilk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until scones are golden brown.
- Let the scones cool completely on a wire rack. While the scones are cooling, make the orange glaze. In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, orange zest, and orange juice. Drizzle glaze over scones and sprinkle with additional chopped almonds, if desired. Let scones set until glaze hardens.
If you like these Orange Almond Scones, you might also like: