Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies-soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies with a hint of orange! These cookies are delightful!
This post is sponsored by Morton Salt.
Today is going to be a good day because it is Friday and we have COOKIES! And not just any cookies, but Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies. I am sure some of you are chocolate chip cookie purists and are thinking, I don’t want orange in my cookies, but trust me on this one. The orange and chocolate combo is amazing!
Last month, I went to Chicago for Morton Salt’s Next Door Chef event – a unique experience that converted someone’s home into an actual restaurant for a day. Cara’s condo was turned into “Cara’s” and she was paired with a professional chef (Jason Vincent from Chicago’s Giant restaurant) to learn how to make a remarkable meal using different types of salt.
It was such a fun event. The ambiance and food was amazing!! I felt like I was eating in a restaurant, but the experience was even better. I loved the intimate setting.
For dessert, we had the most amazing chocolate chip cookies that had a hint of orange and a sprinkling of sea salt. I took one bite and knew I had to go home and make a similar cookie. Today, I am sharing that cookie recipe and you need to bake them ASAP! Trust me.
The hint of orange comes from orange zest in the dough. It is the most pleasant surprise and goes so well with the chocolate. I used dark chocolate chips, but feel free to use your favorite kind of chocolate.
Of course, the cookies are finished with a sprinkling of Morton Coarse Sea Salt. A little sea salt brings out the BEST flavor in chocolate chip cookies. Never skip this step.
I am so glad I attended the “Next Door Chef” event in Chicago because I was inspired to create these amazing Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies. I also left inspired to host a “Next Door Chef” event in our home. It was so much fun.
You can go to MortonSalt.com/NextDoorChef to download your own hosting kit complete with recipes and how-to steps to add that extra something to your meal. And if you do host your own “Next Door Chef” party or have a recipe idea for using Morton Kosher or sea salt, post your photos using #NextDoorChef.
Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- 3 dozen cookies
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Morton Coarse Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 medium orange
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups chocolate chips I used dark chocolate chips
- Extra sea salt for sprinkling on cookies
- Extra orange zest for sprinkling on cookies if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar and orange zest. Rub together with your fingers until fragrant.
- Using a stand mixer, cream butter and sugars together for about 3 minutes. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. With the mixer on low, slowly add in the dry ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Form the cookie dough into balls, about 2 tablespoons of dough. Place on prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with a little bit of fresh orange zest, if desired. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and cool completely.