Orange Ricotta Chocolate Chip Pancakes-light and fluffy pancakes with a hint of orange and dotted with chocolate chips!
Tuesday was National Pancake Day, but I didn’t realize it until after we had eaten breakfast. I didn’t have any ideas for dinner so pancakes came to my rescue! We didn’t miss out on the special day because we made pancakes for dinner. Pancakes are good any time of the day!
We didn’t celebrate with any old pancakes, we went all out. We made Orange Ricotta Chocolate Chip Pancakes. They were a real treat!
Our Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are one of my favorites. I decided to mix things up by creating an orange version, but I didn’t stop there. I added mini chocolate chips to the pancakes batter. Orange and chocolate is always a winning combo!
The pancakes are light and fluffy thanks to the ricotta cheese. The ricotta creates a perfect pancake that melts in your mouth!
The pancakes have fresh orange juice and orange zest in the batter so they are bursting with orange flavor. The mini chocolate chips are a sweet surprise that make the pancakes extra special.
I topped my stack of pancakes with a little butter and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. I wasn’t sure if I was eating dinner or dessert! The pancakes were such a treat and my boys loved them too! They were a hit all around!
If you missed out on National Pancake Day, don’t worry, you can still make our Orange Ricotta Chocolate Chip Pancakes. They are good any and every day of the year! Spoil yourself this weekend and enjoy a special breakfast…or dinner treat!
And if you like our Orange Ricotta Chocolate Chip Pancakes, you should try our Orange Ricotta Chocolate Chip Muffins too!
Orange Ricotta Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 25 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Butter and maple syrup for serving, if desired
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and orange zest. Rub together your fingers until fragrant. Add the mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese, egg, egg whites, orange juice, canola oil and vanilla extract. Gently fold this mixture into the dry ingredients until flour disappears. Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Don't over mix. The batter will be thick.
- Heat a griddle or a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Drop about 1/3 cup of batter onto the hot griddle or skillet. Cook the pancakes until browned on the underside and beginning to set, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook the pancakes on the other side, about two minutes longer. Continue making pancakes until batter is gone. Serve with butter and maple syrup, if desired.