Pizza Bagels are fun, easy to make at home, and always a hit with kids and adults! Top a bagel with pizza sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings for a delicious lunch, dinner, or snack!
Homemade Pizza Bagels
Pizza is LIFE! We love making homemade pizza, but sometimes we don’t have time and that is when we make Pizza Bagels.
If you haven’t had a pizza bagel, it might sound a little odd, but I promise they are tasty. Bagel Bites are popular for a reason, ha! Homemade pizza bagels are where it’s at though. They are SO much better, SO easy to make, and affordable too!
Basically, you take a plain slightly toasted bagel, top it with pizza sauce, cheese, and pizza toppings. Bake until the cheese is melted and you have the cutest little pizzas that are also VERY delicious!
Pizza bagels make a great lunch, dinner, or snack! They only take about 15 minutes to make so you can enjoy them anytime and all of the time. Kids love them and so do adults. You have to try them!
- Bagels– we use plain bagels for the “crust” of the pizza. If you need the pizza to be gluten-free, just use your favorite gluten-free bagels.
- Pizza sauce– we use our easy homemade pizza sauce, but store bought is fine too.
- Mozzarella cheese– shredded mozzarella is the way to go!
- Pepperoni– I like to use the mini pepperoni slices for my boys. They are super cute and fit perfectly on the bagels. If you can’t find mini slices, you can use regular pepperoni.
- Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes, and basil– for garnish. Sure, it’s optional, but SO good!
How to Make Pizza Bagels
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Use a toaster to lightly toast the bagel halves. Toasting the bagels will prevent them from getting soggy after adding the pizza sauce. Just make sure you don’t get them too dark because they are going on the oven and will toast up a little more.
- Place the toasted bagels on a large baking sheet. Spread the pizza sauce evenly on the bagel halves. Top evenly with shredded mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices (or whatever toppings you want).
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes and basil.
- Serve warm!
Mix Up the Toppings
We usually make pepperoni pizza bagels because my boys love them, but you can use whatever pizza toppings you want! I love loading mine with lots of veggies. The options are endless, but here are some ideas!
- Cooked Italian sausage
- Sliced black olives
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Diced bell peppers or roasted red peppers
- Chopped artichokes
- Diced pineapple
- Canadian bacon
How to Store & Reheat
Pizza bagels are best right out of the oven when the bagels are crispy and the cheese is hot and melty! But if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just make sure they are completely cool before you put them in the fridge.
To reheat, place them in a 350 degree F oven until warm. You can also reheat them in an air fryer, which is our favorite method. It only takes a couple of minutes and the bagels get nice and crispy. I don’t recommend reheating them in the microwave because the bagels will get too chewy.
More Easy Recipes
- 4 plain bagels, sliced in half
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Mini pepperoni slices* (or your favorite toppings)
- For garnish: Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes, and freshly chopped basil, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Use a toaster, to lightly toast the bagel halves. Toasting the bagels will prevent them from getting soggy after adding the pizza sauce.
- Place the toasted bagels on a large baking sheet. Spread the pizza sauce evenly on the bagel halves. Top evenly with shredded mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and garnish each bagel with Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes and basil, if desired.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Hi! Where can I find the mini pepperoni slices?
I buy it at Smith’s, which is a Kroger store.