Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup-this simple, warming, and delicious soup makes a great meal and it freezes well too!
This post is sponsored by Almond Breeze.
I am always freezing and always trying to find ways to keep warm. During the cold and snowy winter months, I wear layers, drink hot herbal tea, take hot baths, turn on the fireplace, and hide under blankets. My boys always make fun of me because they are always hot and I am freezing. I have to show them my goosebumps so they will believe me:)
I have also been making a lot of soup to try and stay warm. I made this easy Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup this week and it sure hit the spot!
This is one of my favorite soups because it takes less than 30 minutes to make and I always have the ingredients on hand. The soup is filling, satisfying, and will warm you up!
Tomato soup has always been one of my favorites, but I like this recipe even better because the roasted red peppers add an intense flavor. I also stir in a little Almond Breeze Original Almondmilk at the end to make the soup super creamy. I like to use the shelf stable almond milk because I always have it in our pantry. You will never know this soup is made without cream. It is so rich, creamy, and smooth!
I like to top each bowl with fresh basil and homemade whole wheat croutons. You could also dip a piece of crusty bread into the soup or a grilled cheese sandwich. So many options!
And I highly recommend putting some soup in the freezer for another day. It will save you when you are craving some healthy comfort food but don’t have time to make dinner. It has saved me on numerous occasions.
There’s nothing more comforting than a bowl of this simple Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup. It is perfect for this time of year!
Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 celery rib chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash of crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup Almond Breeze Original Almondmilk
- Freshly chopped basil and croutons for garnish, optional
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook until soften, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic, tomato paste, and bay leaves. Stir until the tomato paste is mixed in.
- Add the tomatoes, roasted red peppers, vegetable broth, sugar, dried thyme, and crushed red pepper. Stir to combine. Reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the almond milk and basil. Remove the bay leaves. Turn off the heat and use a hand blender to purée the soup in the pot. If you don't have a hand blender, let the soup cool until warm and transfer to stand blender. Blend until smooth and return to the pot. Heat over medium heat until heated through.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh basil and croutons, if desired.
- Note-this soup will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It also freezes well. To freeze, cool the soup completely and store in a freezer container for up to 2 months.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod