Spring Vegetable Zucchini Noodle Soup-this simple and healthy zucchini noodle soup is filled with spring vegetables.
Spring has been playing tricks on me. We will have a few warm, sunny days and then it will be windy, cold, and rainy. And last week, we even got the dreaded S word…snow!! I want to pack up all of my winter clothes because I am ready for sunshine all day, every day, but spring is dragging it’s feet. It can’t make up it’s mind if it really wants to come out and stay.
Last week, when it snowed, I made Spring Vegetable Zucchini Noodle Soup for dinner. I was craving soup because it was chilly, but also craving spring vegetables. It was the perfect dinner for the in between, crazy weather.
We love zucchini noodles, aka zoodles, and use them all of the time for “pasta” dishes. I decided to try them in soup, in place of regular noodles, and I am so glad I did. They are so delicious in soup and a great way to add more veggies! Yay!
I used my Inspiralizer to make the zucchini noodles and it worked wonders. It is one of my favorite kitchen tools. Everyone needs an Inspiralizer!
The soup is broth based, so it is very light, which makes it perfect for spring. It is also loaded with all of my favorite spring vegetables-asparagus, spinach, and peas. I added fresh lemon juice and basil to give it an extra boost of flavor. I garnished the soup with grated Parmesan cheese and it was the perfect finishing touch!
Our boys love zucchini noodles, but I was a little worried they wouldn’t eat my veggie loaded soup. Well, they slurped it up in record time. Maxwell even had seconds. Yeah, I know I need to teach them not to slurp their soup, but I was just happy they were eating their vegetables. I will get to table manners another day:)
Let’s hope it warms up soon, but until then I will be eating Spring Vegetable Zucchini Noodle Soup. It is the perfect soup for those still a little chilly spring days!
Spring Vegetable Zucchini Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 10 spears of asparagus trimmed and halved
- 4 15 oz cans vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 cup freshly chopped spinach
- ¼ cup freshly chopped basil
- 2 medium zucchini spiralized
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese for serving, if desired
- In a large saucepan or pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and asparagus. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and the asparagus is tender.
- Add the broth, peas, lemon juice, spinach, and basil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the zucchini noodles and cook an additional 2 minutes so the zucchini noodles can soften. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Serve immediately and garnish with parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Note-if you need the soup to be vegan, don't use the parmesan cheese.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod