We have four rhubarb plants and I was worried they wouldn’t survive all of the snow we received in April. Yesterday I went outside to inspect our plants and was pleasantly surprised. They are still going strong. One rhubarb plant is flourishing with red stalks already. I was so excited! I picked a few stalks and made Rhubarb Apple Bread.
I chopped up the rhubarb stalks and an apple to go into my quick bread. I added cinnamon and a pinch of all spice to the batter. I was trying to keep the loaf somewhat healthy, so I used applesauce and canola oil instead of butter. Josh loves cinnamon and sugar, so I added a cinnamon sugar topping for my love.
The loaf smelled heavenly while baking. I couldn’t wait to enjoy a slice. The rhubarb and apple keep the loaf moist and add a nice tart flavor. The cinnamon sugar topping balances out the tartness. This loaf has the perfect tart to sweet balance.
Rhubarb apple bread is great for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or even dessert.
This quick bread would also be a great addition to your Mother’s Day brunch menu. Don’t ask mom to make it though-she deserves a break:) I promise this rhubarb apple bread is easy to make, anyone can do it!
Rhubarb Apple Bread
- 1 loaf
For the bread:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup chopped apples skin removed (I used Granny Smith)
Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 by 4 loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and all spice. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the eggs and beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add in canola oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Mix until combined. Add sugars and beat until smooth.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Gently fold in rhubarb and apple chunks. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle evenly over the batter. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until loaf is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes. Loosen sides and remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
If you like this Rhubarb Apple Bread, you might also like: