Sun-dried tomatoes, white beans, and artichokes come together in a pesto pasta salad that’s great for potlucks, leftovers, and snacking all summer long!
Pesto Pasta Salad
Mmm, pesto pasta salad. It’s fun to say and fun to eat! I love my super easy pesto pasta salad, but this one is jazzed up with lots of flavorful ingredients. White beans, artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, and arugula make this a really well-rounded dish that’s wonderful for potlucks, summer dinners, or as a colorful side!
What Kind of Pasta Should You Use for Pasta Salad?
I like using Fusili for this pasta salad recipe! The ridges in the pasta make perfect little spots for all of these yummy flavors to hang out, so every bite you take is just right. Of course, you can use any type of pasta you prefer or have on hand! Other good options are:
Pesto Pasta Salad Ingredients:
This Pesto Pasta Salad is loaded with some of my favorite summertime ingredients. Once you have your pasta cooked and ready to go, you can add in lots of fun and flavorful ingredients!
- Pesto-I like to use my homemade spinach basil pesto, but store bought pesto will work too!
- White beans-you can use cannellini beans, Great Northern, or navy beans. If you aren’t a white bean fan, use chickpeas!
- Artichoke hearts-I use canned artichoke hearts, jarred will work well too!
- Sun-dried tomatoes-Look for sun-dried tomatoes in the canned vegetable aisle. They add a ton of flavor to this pasta salad.
- Arugula-one of my favorite additions! I love the peppery kick and pop of green. Spinach would also work well.
- Parmesan cheese-cheese is always a good idea and freshly grated Parmesan is the perfect finishing touch to this pasta salad!
- Fresh basil-the pasta salad already has great basil flavor from the pesto but I like to add some fresh basil for garnish.
- Pine nuts-optional, but SO good!
Serving Pesto Pasta Salad
We like this as a cold pasta in the summertime! I like to make it early in the day before it gets too warm outside, then pull it out of the fridge when everyone is ready to eat. No standing over a hot stove during the warmest part of the day! Because it’s so good cold, it also makes for A+ leftovers and lunches. If you want to serve it warm, go for it!
If you’d like a more filling pasta salad, this one would be delicious with grilled or shredded chicken added in. You could also use a rotisserie chicken to make it that much easier on yourself!
More Pasta Salad Recipes:
- Bacon, Corn, and Tomato Pasta Salad
- Easy Pasta Salad
- Spinach Artichoke Pasta Salad
- Southwest Pasta Salad
Sun-Dried Tomato, White Bean, and Artichoke Pesto Pasta Salad
- 16 oz pasta fusilli pasta, or other short cut pasta
- 1 cup basil pesto
- 14 oz white beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 oz artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 6 oz sun-dried tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 cups arugula
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts for garnish, optional
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the pasta until al dente according to package directions. Drain and rinse the pasta with cold water. Transfer the pasta to a large bowl.
- Add the basil pesto to the pasta and stir until the pasta is well coated. Gently stir in the white beans, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, arugula, and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Garnish with fresh basil and pine nuts, if using. Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Dishing Out Health
I made this the other day & it was fantastic. I’m excited to try more recipes from your website! (Recipe rating not working for some reason, but I give it five stars!)
I don’t have any arugula. Would chopped Kale work for this salad?
Does the arugula wilt if leftovers are kept in the fridge overnight?
It will a little bit, but still good enough to eat:)
This is an easy and delicious pasta salad.
***** TERRIFIC! *****
Delicious! Easy and sooo good. Added grilled chicken. Highly recommend!
My husband is pretty selective when it comes to both pesto and pasta salad, and he cannot get enough of either when it comes to both of your recipes. The whole family loves this dish; it’s simple, quick and light yet hearty. And I could go on about the pesto for days…we put it on everything. Both recipes have become mainstays in our dinner repertoire. Delish – many thanks!
Always a winner with my family and at pot luck gatherings.
can i use marinated and drained artichoke hearts ?
Made this today to take to a backyard gathering. Oh my gosh, so delicious! Definitely a keeper! Thanks for great recipe!
You are welcome. I am glad you loved the salad.