Sweet Potato and Black Bean Mexican Salad-this fresh and healthy salad is a favorite at our house! It is easy to make and beautiful to serve!
A few weeks ago I shared a photo of a salad we ate for dinner on Instagram. I also shared the photo in our weekly This and That post. We received a ton of comments and emails about the salad. You guys wanted the recipe ASAP! We make this Sweet Potato and Black Bean Mexican Salad all of the time. It is one of our staples, but I never thought about posting it because it really isn’t a recipe. It is so easy! I just throw all of my favorite ingredients together and call it a Mexican salad.
I didn’t want to let you guys down, so we made the salad again and I took photos for the blog! So today I am sharing our Sweet Potato and Black Bean Mexican Salad! Yay!
Whenever I am feeling lazy and not in the mood to cook, which has been a lot lately, I ask Josh if he wants Mexican salads for dinner. Luckily, he always says yes! We both love this simple salad and it is super easy to make. It is our favorite quick and easy meal!
Like I said, there isn’t a real recipe, everything is pretty self explanatory. I top chopped Romaine lettuce with all of my favorite Mexican toppings: roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, red cabbage, avocado, corn, tomatoes, green onion, and cilantro. The salad is loaded with flavor so I usually don’t use a dressing. I usually squeeze fresh lime juice over the salad and call it good. Sometimes I will add salsa or fresh pico de gallo or make my Creamy Avocado Dressing for an extra boost of flavor!
Josh and Caleb like to eat their salads with tortilla chips. This salad is very flexible so feel free to add your favorite toppings! The more the merrier!
I hope you like our Sweet Potato and Black Bean Mexican Salad as much as we do! I could seriously eat it every day! It is that good! Enjoy!
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Mexican Salad
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 cup corn fresh, frozen, or canned-rinsed and drained
- 1 large avocado sliced
- 1 cup chopped purple cabbage
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Limes-for juicing over salad
- Salsa or pico de gallo if desired
- Creamy Avocado Dressing if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the chopped sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place sheet in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Using a spatula, toss the sweet potatoes. Roast for an additional 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Place chopped lettuce in a large bowl. Top lettuce with roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, tomatoes, corn, avocado, purple cabbage, cilantro, and green onion. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the salad. Serve with salsa, pico de gallo or Creamy Avocado Dressing, if desired.
- Note-I like to roast or grill the corn for the salad. This salad is very flexible. Feel free to add your favorite Mexican toppings to the mix. Don't use the avocado dressing if you need the salad to be vegan.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod