The other night I was craving something sweet. The giant bowl of Halloween candy wasn’t tempting me (I tried to buy candy I didn’t like so it wouldn’t be an issue.) I opened our pantry door to see what my options were. The bag of coconut caught my eye. I pulled it out and turned on the oven to bake toasted coconut chocolate chunk cookies.
I have always been a coconut fan and luckily Josh likes it as well. It is good plain, but toasted coconut is irresistible. I love the enhanced nutty flavor that comes alive after being in the oven for only a few minutes. I stirred toasted coconut into my cookie dough, along with big chunks of chocolate. You can use chocolate chips, but I really like the chunks in these cookies.
The cookies are thick, chewy, and have a slight nutty flavor from the toasted coconut. The dark chocolate chunks send this cookie over the top-these babies are superb! The recipe below only makes about 15 cookies. If you want to make more cookies, just double the recipe. I know I am going to next time. I was sad when the last cookie disappeared in my belly. I couldn’t keep my hands out of the cookie jar. These toasted coconut chocolate chunk cookies are high on my list of favorite cookies.
Side note-soon we will be launching a separate page on our blog called “On the Side.” Here, we will blog about our travels, favorite finds, giveaways, and other non-food related topics. We would love some feedback from all of you-what would you like to see on our “On the Side” page? Let us know by leaving a comment below. We are looking forward to hearing your ideas. Thanks!
Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Cookies loaded with toasted coconut and chocolate chunks! Grab a glass of milk and get dunking!
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 20 minutes
- 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup chopped semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange coconut in a single layer on the pan. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until coconut is lightly toasted, stirring once. Set coconut aside to cool.
- 2. Line another baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside. Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- 3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add brown sugar and butter. Beat at medium speed until creamy and smooth. Beat in vanilla extract, coconut extract, and egg. Slowly add flour mixture, and mix just until combined. Stir in toasted coconut and chocolate chunks.
- 4. Drop spoonfuls of dough 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until bottoms of cookies just begin to brown. Remove from pan, and cool completely on wire racks.
- *Note-you can replace the chocolate chunks with chocolate chips if you wish.
If you like these Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies, you might also like:
Chocolate Coconut Kiss Cookies from Two Peas and Their Pod
Coconut Macaroons Dipped in Chocolate from Two Peas and Their Pod
Cowboy Cookies from My Baking Addiction
Samoas Brownies from Brown Eyed Baker
Coconut Chocolate Pecan Congo Bars from Savory Sweet Life