Blackberry Lime Muffins
“Do you know the muffin man?” I have that nursery rhyme stuck in my head this morning, because blackberry lime muffins are on my mind. I recently made these muffins for Josh and he declared them a new favorite. I think you will agree, these blackberry lime muffins are a real treat.
I usually don’t bake breakfast treats on weekdays because of time and I like to eat oatmeal, but muffins are the exception. They don’t take long to make and they help brighten the morning. Sometimes it is nice to have a special treat during the week. When I made blackberry lime muffins for Josh, he left the house with a big grin on his face-and an extra muffin in his hand, he really enjoyed these muffins:)
These muffins are bursting with fresh, plump blackberries. I highly suggest you use fresh blackberries for these muffins. Summer berries are so sweet and delicious right now, and most likely on sale. I purchased a container of beautiful blackberries for 88 cents, a bargain! I had to make these muffins with a deal like that.
Blackberry and lime scream summer to me so I added in lime zest and juice to give the blackberries an extra dose of summer love. The sugar muffin tops are pretty and offer a nice crunch. These muffins are divine right out of the oven, but we also enjoyed them the next day.
I highly suggest you start your morning off with a batch of blackberry lime muffins. They are the perfect summer morning treat and will cheer up anyone’s day. And sorry if I got the “Muffin Man” song stuck in your head, I am still humming away:)
Blackberry Lime Muffins
Yield: 9 muffins
Cook Time: 17-20 minutes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
Zest of 2 limes
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup blackberries
Turbinado sugar-for sprinkling on muffins before baking
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 9 paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder.
3. In a small bowl, add the sugar and lime zest. Rub sugar and zest together until fragrant. Add sugar and zest to the flour mixture. Whisk ingredients together.
4. In a glass measuring cup or small bowl, mix canola oil, egg, buttermilk, lime juice, and vanilla extract together.
5. Pour the wet ingredients over the flour mixture. Slowly stir together, the batter will be thick. Don't over mix. Gently fold in the blackberries.
6. Fill 9 muffin cups with the batter. Sprinkle each muffin with turbinado sugar.
7. Bake muffins for 17-20 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Let muffins cool on a cooking rack.
*Note-you can use frozen berries, but try to use fresh blackberries. They make these muffins extra special. This recipe only makes 9 muffins, feel free to double it.
If you like these blackberry lime muffins, you might also like:
Blueberry Cream Cheese Muffins from Two Peas and Their Pod
Oatmeal Berry Muffins from Two Peas and Their Pod
Whole Wheat Orange Spice Muffins from Pinch My Salt
Kiwi and Coconut Muffins from Food Blogga