Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

I know I just posted a pumpkin muffin recipe and several other pumpkin recipes within the last month, but I just can’t stop. I love pumpkin. I honestly was going to call it quits for awhile, but on Saturday morning I was eating my pumpkin granola for breakfast and an idea popped in my head to make pumpkin chocolate chip granola bars. I quickly got out the pumpkin and started baking.

I based the recipe off of my pumpkin granola, but I made a few changes. I adjusted the spices, used honey instead of maple syrup, and added in chocolate chips. This was my first time making homemade granola bars so I was a little worried, but after a few minutes in the oven, I knew they would be good. The smell of pumpkin and chocolate was divine.

When the bars were golden brown, I removed them from the oven and let them cool for five minutes. I cut them into bars and let them finish cooling while we went to the farmers market. When we got home, we rushed into the kitchen to sample the granola bars. I sampled them again and again:) I was smitten. The chewy granola bars have a nice pumpkin flavor that is complimented by chocolate and laced with cinnamon and nutmeg.

Homemade granola bars are so easy to make, I can’t believe it has taken me this long to try them. These pumpkin chocolate chip granola bars make a great fall snack or breakfast on the go. If you are looking for a pumpkin recipe to try-I nominate this one!

I have been getting bombarded with one question lately, “when are you going to post pictures of your new kitchen?” We are home and our kitchen is functioning (I loved using our Thermador oven on Saturday) but it isn’t completely done. We have some odds and ends to finish up before it is ready to be viewed by all:) Until it is finished, I will be posting teaser photos. Here is one for you to enjoy today. Don’t you love our new white kitchen backsplash? That is all you get for now!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Yield: 10-12 granola bars

Cook Time: 30-35 minutes

3 1/4 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup pumpkin puree
¼ cup applesauce
¼ cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 by 8 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk oats, spices, and salt together. Set aside.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk brown sugar, pumpkin, applesauce, honey, and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour over oats and stir well, until all of the oats are moist. Stir in chocolate chips.

4. Evenly press oat mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. The pumpkin keeps the bars moist, so make sure they are golden and set-you don't want them to be under baked. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.

5. Using a sharp knife, cut into bars. Remove from pan and let cool completely.

If you like these pumpkin chocolate chip granola bars, you might also like:

Pumpkin Granola from Two Peas and Their Pod
Granola Bars from Buns in My Oven
Cranberry Spice Granola Bars from Bitchin’ Camero
Thick, Chewy Granola Bars from In Good Taste

163 Responses to “Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars”

lori — October 18, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

I make granola bars all the time for my kids. I am always drawn to new recipes to give them a try. I will definitely be trying these. They look amazing.

Amanda :) — October 18, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

These sound fantastic Maria! :) I am seriously addicted to granola bars, but I’ve never attempted to make my own. Must try these ASAP! :)

Emily Rose — October 18, 2010 @ 1:25 pm

I just made granola bars for the first time last week and although they tasted great, they were a crumbly disaster (and they stuck to the pan!). Yours are beautiful, I’m definitely going to give this recipe a try!

Deborah — October 18, 2010 @ 1:50 pm

I’ve never made granola bars – but I keep thinking I really need to, especially for my little girl! And I am eagerly awaiting your kitchen reveal!

Holly — October 18, 2010 @ 2:50 pm

Great idea! I’ve been kicking the idea around a lot lately too, but I love that I don’t have to figure it out for myself now. The boys love pumpkin and chocolate, so these should be a hit!

alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — October 18, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

These look amazing. We love pumpkin and granola bars so this is a keeper!

Patty — October 18, 2010 @ 3:13 pm

These sound fantastic! And funny too, because yesterday I concocted some very similar “pumpkin oat choc chunk cookies” and thought my next batch would be even better as granola bars. :)
    (Love the backsplash. :)

Crystal's Cozy Kitchen — October 18, 2010 @ 3:24 pm

I love this idea! I’m adding this to my list of things I want to make. I love granola bars.

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — October 18, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

I LOVE these!! I have never made homemade granola bars, but have always wanted to. I definitely need to make these!

Michele — October 18, 2010 @ 5:53 pm

Wow, these look delicious! I hope to be making these soon.

SnoWhite — October 18, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

these look wonderful — I’ll be making them soon :)

Lauren — October 18, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

Must. Make. These. SOON! They look fantastic :)

Lori @ RecipeGirl — October 18, 2010 @ 7:29 pm

What a great recipe! Love the pumpkin in there. My little guy will adore these for sure :)

Michelle — October 18, 2010 @ 9:37 pm

WOW…I never thought to make Granola Bars! What a great idea! Thanks.

Liz - Meal Makeover Mom — October 19, 2010 @ 6:09 am

Maria:
    I’m literally laughing out loud. Every time I visit someone’s food blog these days, I find another fabulous pumpkin-inspired recipe. I just made pumpkin cupcakes (a makeover of Ina Garten’s oh-so decadent cupcakes), and I am getting ready to record my weekly radio podcast .. all about pumpkin. I’d love to share your recipe (and if I have time, I’ll make it for my family). Yum…

• twopeas replied: — October 19th, 2010 @ 7:09 am

Feel free to share our recipe. Thanks Liz! Good luck on the show:)

stephchows — October 19, 2010 @ 7:01 am

Oh yes please sign me up for one of those!! Printing it out right now :)

natalie (the sweets life) — October 19, 2010 @ 8:09 am

oh wow–these look incredible! I was actually thinking of making pumpkin granola bars last week and couldn’t find a recipe so I was going to make up my own…but now I can’t wait to try yours!

Tracy — October 19, 2010 @ 11:53 am

I’ve been wanting to make granola bars for the longest time! Adding in pumpkin just makes them sound even better. Bookmarking this!

Emily — October 19, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

I can’t wait to see the finished kitchen! That’s so exciting. Your granola bars sound amazing! I might have to make these tonight. I really, really want to.

Blond Duck — October 19, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

Happy Tuesday!

naomi — October 19, 2010 @ 3:36 pm

No, no, no quitting on the pumpkin recipes! I love them, keep’m coming PLEASE!!

Bridgett — October 19, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

Loving the pumpkin recipes and these are a great healthy pick.

Natalie (The Sweets LIfe) — October 19, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

okay just made these and eating one as i speak…LOVE THEM!

• twopeas replied: — October 19th, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

Yay! I love them too:)

Josh — October 19, 2010 @ 6:15 pm

My mom, Liz (Meal Makeover Mom), made your bars and I just tried one. It was great. I liked the texture and the taste. Loved them!

• twopeas replied: — October 19th, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

Josh-hi there! I am so glad you liked the granola bars. You have a great mom:)

Heather — October 19, 2010 @ 6:18 pm

Great recipe Maria! I can’t seem to get enough of pumpkin either. I love it! These granola bars look great! I still haven’t made your pumpkin granola but I plan to make it once I’m back home from our vacation.
    Love the peek of the new white backsplash too! Looking forward to seeing the new kitchen. :)

• twopeas replied: — October 19th, 2010 @ 6:53 pm

Enjoy your vacation:)

Nancy @ The Sensitive Pantry — October 19, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

Maria – Loving these. I’ve been looking for a granola bar recipe…and these are gluten-free to boot. Bonus!

• twopeas replied: — October 19th, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

I hope you like the granola bars Nancy.

Tracey — October 19, 2010 @ 8:09 pm

I’ve been going crazy with the pumpkin baking too Maria. How can you not this time of year? It’s just so delicious :) These look terrific – I’m adding them to my pumpkin baking list!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida — October 19, 2010 @ 8:52 pm

What a GREAT idea! A portable form of pumpkin via the granola bar. This is pure genius.

LimeCake — October 20, 2010 @ 3:24 am

i love homemade granola bars! this is a fantastic use for pumpkin!

Liz @ LBBakes — October 20, 2010 @ 4:16 am

I have to try these – I love granola bars but have never made my own. Can’t imagine a better first try than with pumpkin!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 20, 2010 @ 7:03 am

I haven’t made homemade granola bars in a while, and I’m not sure why. I love them. These might be the inspiration I needed. You can’t go wrong with pumpkin!

• twopeas replied: — October 20th, 2010 @ 7:11 am

I loved the pumpkin flavor with the chocolate chips. A great granola bar for fall!

Kathie — October 20, 2010 @ 7:30 am

I’m just getting ready to make your pumpkin streusel muffins-scrumptious looking-and was wondering what to do with the other 2 cups of pumpkin from the can. Bingo-pumpkin granola bars! I have everything but the honey, can I leave it out or will that wreck it?

33. Pingback: Homemade Granola Bars | Pumpkin Granola Bars | Brown Eyed Baker

Connie — October 20, 2010 @ 9:59 am

I made these and they taste delicious! I do wish they were a little crispier though. I used old fashioned oats, would instant rolled oats make a difference? Or maybe I just needed to bake them longer. Also, could you replace the applesauce completely with pumpkin to add to the pumpkin flavor? Thanks for the recipe!

• twopeas replied: — October 20th, 2010 @ 3:31 pm

Try baking them a little longer. The pumpkin keeps them moist, do don’t under bake. My oven only took 30 minutes, but try 35-37 minutes. I haven’t tried them without applesauce, but I am sure it would work. Let me know if you try it!

• Connie replied: — October 22nd, 2010 @ 9:29 am

Ok, thanks! Just want to say again that they are delicious!

laura — October 20, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

Oh I love a good granola bar, these look great. We have to pack real food for our kids lunches and I think these will fit right in! Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday!

grace — October 20, 2010 @ 3:26 pm

hooray for pumpkin! it’s one of my favorite terms of endearment and it’s a fine way to enhance some granola bars!

Tauna — October 21, 2010 @ 8:37 am

Making granola bars has been on my to-do list for awhile. When I saw your recipe I had to try it immediately. They turned out great! The whole family loved them. A new favorite recipe. Thanks!

• twopeas replied: — October 21st, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

Yay! Glad the whole family loved them!

mrs. lusher of the lushers — October 21, 2010 @ 7:31 pm

I made these last night & loved them!!! I made 1/2 with white chocolate chips & 1/2 with butterscotch & they’re both so, so good. Thanks for sharing :)

• twopeas replied: — October 21st, 2010 @ 9:35 pm

I will have to try butterscotch chips next time. Great idea!

Monica H — October 22, 2010 @ 12:18 am

I’ve been wondering about your kitchen too. Can’t wait to see it!

40. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Episode 70 | my kitchen addiction