I love making homemade granola. Not only does it taste good, but it makes the house smell amazing. I usually stir up a new recipe every time I make granola. I can’t help myself. There are so many flavors to play around with. This time I went with a fall theme and made a batch of pumpkin granola.
Pumpkin, applesauce, and maple syrup bind the oats together so there is no need for butter or oil. I used pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and nutmeg to give the granola a prominent pumpkin spice flavor. The pumpkin spice aroma traveled throughout the house and lingered for hours-much better than a pumpkin candle:)
When the granola was finished baking, I stirred in dried cranberries and pepitas. I didn’t add nuts because Josh is allergic, but feel free to add in a handful or two. Almonds or pecans would be a delightful addition. I love the large crunchy clumps in this granola. If you aren’t a clumpy fan, just break them up. This pumpkin granola is good eaten plain, as a yogurt topping, or with a splash of cold milk.
- 5 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup pepitas
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, spices, and salt. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, pumpkin puree, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. Pour wet ingredients into oat mixture and stir until the oats are evenly coated. They will be moist. Evenly spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and stir. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the granola is golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and stir in dried cranberries and pepitas. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- *Note-serve granola with yogurt, milk, or enjoy plain.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this pumpkin granola, you might also like:
Maple Almond Granola from Two Peas and Their Pod
Granola with Coconut, Dried Cranberries, and Almonds from Two Peas and Their Pod
Cherry, Prune, and Almond Granola from Food Blogga
Homemade Granola from Amanda’s Cookin