Zucchini Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies
Zucchini Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies-a healthy cookie you can enjoy for dessert, snack time, or even breakfast!
It’s Sunday and we usually don’t post recipes on the weekend, but I really need to share this Zucchini Applesauce Oatmeal Cookie recipe with you today. It can’t wait until tomorrow.
I have become a little obsessed with zucchini cookies. Our freezer is stocked with Zucchini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies and Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Cookies. I can’t help myself. I don’t want to waste our zucchini so I just keep baking cookies. There is no better use for zucchini and since the cookies freeze well, I have been baking zucchini cookies like crazy.
Last week, I shared my Zucchini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. They are perfect in my book. I love everything about them and wouldn’t change a thing. I guess some of you aren’t the biggest fans of coconut though. I got a few emails and requests for a similar zucchini cookie recipe, but without the coconut and coconut oil.
Because I love you all dearly, I created a new zucchini cookie, Zucchini Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies. There is no coconut involved. This time I used whole wheat flour, applesauce, cinnamon, cloves, and a little nutmeg. I also added in raisins and chocolate chips. There is no butter or oil in these cookies. The applesauce and zucchini are all you need!
The zucchini cookies are hearty, soft, and chewy. I told myself I wasn’t going to like these. I was just making them for all of the coconut haters out there. I was going to stick with my Zucchini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies. Well, I fell in love after one bite. Another winning zucchini cookie recipe. I seriously have a problem. Is there a zucchini cookie addiction group? If so, I think I should be the leader. I have a serious problem.
So here you go, a recipe for Zucchini Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies….with NO coconut! You’ve got your fruits and veggies in these cookies, so they make a great breakfast cookie or healthy snack! Make a batch today and stock your freezer! I might have to buy another freezer for my zucchini cookie stash! I think I will bake another batch today:)
If you have a lot of zucchini to use up and want to do some major zucchini baking, here are a few of my favorite recipes:
- Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies
- Zucchini Cookies with Chocolate Chips & Dried Cranberries
- Zucchini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
- Zucchini Coconut Bread
- Zucchini Cheddar Corn Muffins
Zucchini Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Zucchini cookies made with applesauce, oatmeal, raisins, and chocolate chips! No butter or oil needed! These cookies make a great breakfast cookie:)
1 cup whole wheat Gold Medal flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup applesauce
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup shredded zucchini
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine applesauce and brown sugar, mix until smooth. Add egg and vanilla extract. Next, add the shredded zucchini. Mix until combined.
4. Slowly add flour mixture until just combined. Stir in oats, raisins, and chocolate chips.
5. Drop cookie dough by heaping tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or cookies are slightly golden around the edges and set. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
Note-you can use all-purpose flour instead of whole wheat flour. You can also omit the raisins if you aren't crazy about raisins in your cookies.